Programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

varstrom

I got my new Pro96 and finally got my cable up and running, but don't know how to enter the freqs in on Win96. There isn't much help as to what to do next. The Win96 explains what settings, channels, etc are, but nothing tells you how to do it.

I live in the Somerset county area and was wondering if anyone has a quick reference guide on how to program my scanner.

Thanks,
Sue

KE5BCP

Analog Man
Under "Channels" tab, put the frequencies under "Frequency".
If the channel is conventional, the "Rx Mode" will be FM, AM, CT, or DC.
If the channel is trunked, the "Rx Mode" will be MOT or EDACS.

Last edited:

varstrom

Huh????
Sorry, that still doesn't help me. I know the freqs are on RR, but which ones do I use?? Which ones are conventional and which ones are trunked? Where do I put the talkgroup IDs? Sorry to be such a pain, but I'm really clueless!

seamusg

Here are some examples, but they are not for your area:
Here's a trunked system in WIN96:
Talk groups go in the lower right

Last edited:

robbinsj2

You can download a Win96 file for Somerset from my site at http://www.jim-robbins.com/radio/prog-files/. So much has been happening in the county lately that it isn't 100% up-to-date, but it's close enough for you to take and tweak or update to your taste.

In the database, there are two basic pages for Somerset County, one for conventional and one for trunked. Other good sources for information are: Scan NJ, my site's Somerset County page (not just the Win96 file), and John Burricelli's scanner files.

Jim

Last edited:

varstrom

Hi Jim

I downloaded my scanner then upload your Somerset p96 file and now it's saying:

Scan up...

What is it doing?

varstrom

How do you stay on one frequency? It's doing a Scan up... but how do I stop it? Boy, these things really make you feel like a dummy!

I wish there was a scanner 101 class somewhere!

varstrom

Ok, I pressed manual. Now I don't hear anything. I used the up and down keys, but nothing comes on. I stopped at this frequency as an example:

M219..D.0DC
Franklin EMS
DC: 047

Why don't I hear anything?

Sorry for being such a pain!

GM

Premium Subscriber
You are going to have to read the Owners Manual for the Pro-96 possibly several times and in pieces so that you don't overwhelm yourself with the technical stuff early on. After reading it several times, you will understand how it works and the neat tricks that it can do for you. Some of your questions are covered in the book already, while others are, but not necessarily out in the open (like the computer programming stuff, which I don't know how to work yet either). This is the way I learned about my scanner & the hobby, and it worked. Once you conquer how to work the new toy, you will have hours of listening enjoyment, and less frustration. But do it in stages, and don't get too pissed off at yourself too quickly if you don't know what's going on. We all learned, and went through the same frustration! Welcome to the Club.

Joseph11

Don't program DPL codes for VHF frequencies. RadioShack scanners have trouble decoding DPL on VHF frequencies.

robbinsj2

GM said:
You are going to have to read the Owners Manual for the Pro-96 possibly several times and in pieces so that you don't overwhelm yourself with the technical stuff early on.
I'll second this. Perhaps the Win96 file was too soon, throwing you into the mix too deep too early. Start your reading with the "Getting Familiar with your Scanner" and "Preparation" chapters. Continue with "Operating your Scanner". The Win96 file has already programmed your scanner, so you can hold that and other advanced chapters until you're more comfortable with it.
Joseph11 said:
Don't program DPL codes for VHF frequencies. RadioShack scanners have trouble decoding DPL on VHF frequencies.
I'll disagree -- my 96 (and all my other RS scanners) do great DPL decoding on any band. If you don't put the squelch code in, you're likely to get interference from co-channel out-of-county users (155.955 would be Middlesex, who doesn't use it as much as they used to but still does some).

varstrom

Ok, I've been trying to read the manual, but it stills doesn't help me on how to use the scanner. I've been trying to listen to freqs by using the manual button and I still can't hear anything. For example:

M000(lightning bolt) ..d. -CT
SPEN 1
CT: 131.8 (no sound at all)

M001(bolt) ..D.-FM
SPEN 2
Smrst Police (hissing noise)

M002(bolt)..D.-CT
SPEN 3

M003(bolt)..D.CT
SPEN 4

I can't hear anything on any channel I switch to. Also, how do I find the talkgroups? Is there anything else I can read that spells out how to use this scanner?

Thanks!

apu

varstrom,

Relatively speaking, there is little traffic on the SPEN channels you listed. You would only hear something if someone is transmitting on the channel you selected at the moment you were listening to it and then again in your area -- you wouldn't hear someone in Trenton or Atlantic City on SPEN1 if you are up in Somerset County.

Even with everything in varied scanners, there are plenty of times when I won't hear a word on any channel for some time. Then, there are plenty of times when it seems like everyone is talking at once.

In all your monitoring, have you heard anything? If you just want to establish that your scanner is working, one thing you can do is press the WX key. You should hear automated weather info from NOAA which transmits constantly.

If that works, press SCAN and turn up the volume half-way and just wait for a bit. I'm sure someone will say something if you wait for a little bit. (There is generally more going on during the day/evening than at night so, if you are listening right now, you may have to wait longer to hear something.)

If you still don't hear anything, let us know what it is showing while scanning, and approximately what day and time and approximately where you are located so someone (Jim?) can tell you what you might expect to hear based on what your scanner is doing.

There are a LOT of options so its not quite as simple as telling you to press 100.3 and you'll start hearing your local police department. But, with a little time, you'll start picking up the details more and more quickly as you build on what you've already learned.

varstrom

I'm trying not to get frustrated and take things one step at a time. The scanner works fine. I have been listening on the WX channel.
When I turn the scanner on, do I let it just scan up and down all night or manually change the freqs?
Are the talkgroups included when it's scanning?
When I hear activity do I pause it?

It's little things like this that the book doesn't explain.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help and encouragement. I really do appreciate it.

Sue

robbinsj2

To begin with, your squelch is too low. This will have a big impact on how fast the scanner scans, and will cause you to stop on certain channels (like SPEN 2).
1) turn the scanner on
2) <MAN>
3) 001<MAN>
4) follow directions at top of page 49 for adjusting squelch

To listen to your local PD, press <UP> (from channel 001) until you see them on the display. Note that "Pol North" includes Bedminster, Far Hills, and Peapack-Gladstone. The following PDs are missing from that list: Millstone and Rocky Hill (NJSP), and Franklin and South Bound Brook (trunked). Leave the trunking/talkgroup stuff for another day.

Stay there for a while -- PDs don't transmit continuously so you may need to wait for a bit to hear anything. How long depends upon the particular PD and time of day. For now, only try to listen to the police department of the town you're in or beside -- some towns you may not be able to receive because they're too far away. Or, listen to Bridgewater on 018 -- they're pretty busy and have a strong signal through much of central Jersey.

Play with that for a little while, then try scanning just Bank 0 (police). You can add other banks later, depending on what you want to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.