Programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbinsj2 said:
I'll disagree -- my 96 (and all my other RS scanners) do great DPL decoding on any band.
There are some radios which have a problem decoding CDCSS if the modulation compensation on the equipment isn't set just right or the level is somewhat high. For example, my Pro-96 doesn't detect DPL 506 from one of our MSF5000 repeaters. The mobiles and portables that are supposed to be used on the system decode it fine. "Off brand" (read: cheaper) portables will not decode it, either. The funny thing is that they will decode if the mobile or portable equipment is using talk-around.

I can't say for sure (I haven't spent too much time on it), but based on what I've seen, the problem is usually not in the scanner but in something that is marginally out of spec.

Keep in mind, though, that if everyone who's supposed to use the system can hear each other through it and if the system does not go outside of its licensed parameters, then there is no problem.

wa2zdy

My Pro 2067 decodes DPL just fine. I use it on some of my stuff and my scanner hears me just fine.

As for SPEN, SPEN 1 - 154.68 should be busy enough to hear stuff during the course of a day. 131.8 is the correct PL for NJ. There are no talkgroups - this stuff is not trunked. But it IS simplex; that means there are no repeaters for SPEN. You have to be close enough to whoever is talking to hear them directly. When I lived in Freehold with the scanner on top of the fridge in the kitchen and a built-in antenna, I could hear NJSP Hamilton on SPEN 1 just fine.

Most stations on SPEN are using serious antennas and decent power. I think you just need to listen more. SPEN is plenty used in Somerset County.

Sue, please send me an email at wa2zdy AT yahoo DOT com I may have info to help you in your county.

Status
Not open for further replies.