• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming Motorola PM400 - Narrowbanding programming error message

admww21

Premium Subscriber
I am attempting to program a Motorola PM400 UHF mobile radio. The programming software is Commercial Series Customer Programming Software - Version. R05.18.

The software will read and write the codeplug from and to my Motorola CM200 radio.

The software will read the codeplug from my Motorola PM400 radio but will not write to the radio. When writing the codeplug to the radio, the program displays :
"Error # 2440
Due to FCC Narrowbanding regulation, only 12.5 KHz configuration is allowed.
Please contact Motorola to request a 20/25 enablement key ..."

I am not attempting to program any channels to 20 or 25 kHz bandwith. In the Conventional Personalities section of my codeplug the Channel Bandwidth (kHZ) is set ti 12.5 for all Personalities (Channels).

I have searched the softwaer in an effort to identify any other setting that might cause the Narrowbanding error message without results.

Any assistance with my program is welcome?

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I am attempting to program a Motorola PM400 UHF mobile radio. The programming software is Commercial Series Customer Programming Software - Version. R05.18.

The software will read and write the codeplug from and to my Motorola CM200 radio.

The software will read the codeplug from my Motorola PM400 radio but will not write to the radio. When writing the codeplug to the radio, the program displays :
"Error # 2440
Due to FCC Narrowbanding regulation, only 12.5 KHz configuration is allowed.
Please contact Motorola to request a 20/25 enablement key ..."

I am not attempting to program any channels to 20 or 25 kHz bandwith. In the Conventional Personalities section of my codeplug the Channel Bandwidth (kHZ) is set ti 12.5 for all Personalities (Channels).

I have searched the softwaer in an effort to identify any other setting that might cause the Narrowbanding error message without results.

Any assistance with my program is welcome?
Are all the personalities in the program set for narrowband. I'll check my version and see which one I have and I'll let you know. I remember something like that years ago and I think I just pushed by that.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
It's been a number of years since I've worked with PM400s but they're probably like the LTR capable Pro series radios in how the CPS behaved without the wideband EID. Even if none of your zone channel assignments were linked to any LTR personality, there's by default at least one in the codeplug and it has slots for the repeater assignments. They're most likely all set for 25 kHz. You can either set them for 12.5 kHz or simply create another LTR personality (that should default to 12.5) then delete the original one. At least, that's what I recall running into before!

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
It's been a number of years since I've worked with PM400s but they're probably like the LTR capable Pro series radios in how the CPS behaved without the wideband EID. Even if none of your zone channel assignments were linked to any LTR personality, there's by default at least one in the codeplug and it has slots for the repeater assignments. They're most likely all set for 25 kHz. You can either set them for 12.5 kHz or simply create another LTR personality (that should default to 12.5) then delete the original one. At least, that's what I recall running into before!
PM400 is strictly analog conventional

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Analog only, correct, but they're LTR capable as well, not just conventional. I programmed many for various customers of an LTR system when I worked for an MSS.

admww21

Premium Subscriber
Are all the personalities in the program set for narrowband. I'll check my version and see which one I have and I'll let you know. I remember something like that years ago and I think I just pushed by that.
Thank you for replying to my posting. I appreciate your willingness to help.

Yes - All personalities are in the original codeplug are narrowband.

I FOUND A WORK-AROUND. WOO HOO!!!.

The CPS included sample codeplugs for different model radios. I loaded the sample codeplug for my model PM400 radio. I was able to clone the sample codeplug into my radio. I then read the sample codeplug from my radio into the CPS. I was able to edit the that codeplug to suit my needs and write the edited codeplug to the radio.

Everything works and I am a happy camper!!!

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Glad it worked out for you. Anyways, my version is 5.12. I do remember it was a simple work around but can't remember what it was. Its been more then 10 years ago I had to program a couple before the narrowband mandate to effect. Also, I just learned that yesterday was the last day to access the Motorola software archives.