SDS100/SDS200: Programming NXDN/FM frequencies

I am learning to use the ARC536 programming software to learn how to manually program my SDS100.
I have some experience using ARC300, which is for my Radioshack Pro-164 Scanner and the UI is similar.

I was curious as how I go about programming the conventional FM frequencies listed here. Most of the frequencies in that list are NXDN.
I know you have to select the NXDN option in the software, but I am not sure if it will let you program conventional frequencies within that option.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
You can program the NXDN frequencies along with the analog frequencies in the same conventional system. Set SQ Mode to RAN. Enter the RAN into the SQ Code column.

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity - why program ARC536 vs Sentinel and/or ProScan?
I understand if you are familiar with ARCXXX.

But, I'd bet Sentinel and/or ProScan are superior.

Out of curiosity - why program ARC536 vs Sentinel and/or ProScan?
I understand if you are familiar with ARCXXX.

But, I'd bet Sentinel and/or ProScan are superior.
Pro Scan looks too complicated for me.
Sentinel sometimes does not play nice with my PC and I am not sure why.

Also, I just prefer to program my SDS100 manually.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I had it set to NXDN at first, so did not see the SQ Mode within the NXDN option.
You program it just as you would any conventional frequency. Each conventional frequency has a SQ Mode and SQ Code field. When you set SQ Mode to RAN, you are selecting NXDN for the conventional frequency. RAN's are used only with NXDN frequencies. Once SQ Mode is set to RAN, only the valid RAN values (0-63) are available in the SQ Code field.

How do you go about programming CSQ into ARC536 software?
I just set the mode to all and SQ code to search, that was the only logical option I could see.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you leave the SQ Mode blank, it should receive any type of emission in CSQ if you have the upgrades. It may be advantageous to set the SQ Mode to the type of emission you are receiving and SQ Mode to Search. If SQ Mode is left blank or set to All, the scanner needs to decide which flavor of emission it is receiving. It takes time to make that decision. That sometimes results in clipping the beginning of a transmission. If the scanner knows what type of emission it is, it can begin decoding immediately. Set SQ Mode to CTCSS or DCS and SQ Code to Search for analog frequencies. CTCSS is used more often. It will find the tone if one is being used. Likewise, if set to P25 and Search, it will find the NAC. If set to DMR and Search, it will find the Color Code. If set to NXDN and Search, it will find the RAN. After you determine a CTCSS, DCS, NAC, Color Code or RAN, it can be entered for the frequency. For your info, CTCSS and PL are the same. DCS and DPL are also the same. CTCSS stands for Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System. There is a low frequency tone during the length of a transmission. Motorola calls it Private Line (PL). GE calls it Channel Guard (CG). RCA calls it Quiet Channel (QC). DCS stands for Digital Coded Squelch. For Motorola, its Digital Private Line (DPL). Often the same frequency may be both analog and digital. In that case, you enter the freguency twice, one with the CTCSS or DCS and the other with the NAC, Color Code or RAN.

Last edited:
So
If you leave the SQ Mode blank, it should receive any type of emission in CSQ if you have the upgrades. It may be advantageous to set the SQ Mode to the type of emission you are receiving and SQ Mode to Search. If SQ Mode is left blank or set to All, the scanner needs to decide which flavor of emission it is receiving. It takes time to make that decision. That sometimes results in clipping the beginning of a transmission. If the scanner knows what type of emission it is, it can begin decoding immediately.
What mode should I set it to for CSQ if in narrowband FM mode? CTCSS then search?