• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Programming the Baofeng UV-S9 to repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

desmobob

For manual programming, I followed directions from this and other sources and successfully programmed my UV-S9 to operate with a local repeater. The problem is when I attempt to program for another one...

I've started with an empty channel, programmed as per instructions in VRO mode, then saved. Anytime I do this, the other repeater channels' menu options also get changed; specifically, the R-CTS and T-CTS numbers and offset information.

I'm SO close to getting the little Baofeng functional, it's killing me.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
Bob
KD2TTM

PS- I have an Alinco DJ-MD5T on the way which I hope is easier to program (or that I can program with CHIRP on my Mac computer using the USB cable that comes with the radio?).

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I've started with an empty channel, programmed as per instructions in VRO mode, then saved. Anytime I do this, the other repeater channels' menu options also get changed; specifically, the R-CTS and T-CTS numbers and offset information.
Before you begin to program another repeater, you need to first save the VFO settings into a new memory channel. Once saved, you can return to the VFO and enter the settings for the new repeater, which you would then save into a different memory channel (and so on). Think of the VFO as a scratch pad and the memories as the finished products.

And, by the way, if you're programming ham repeaters, you probably don't need the R-CTS tones... carrier squelch will do fine for receive.

Your new Alinco will use a specific CPS program that will probably be easier than chirp - but I think it works only on a PC (as do most of these programs).

desmobob

Before you begin to program another repeater, you need to first save the VFO settings into a new memory channel. Once saved, you can return to the VFO and enter the settings for the new repeater, which you would then save into a different memory channel (and so on). Think of the VFO as a scratch pad and the memories as the finished products.

And, by the way, if you're programming ham repeaters, you probably don't need the R-CTS tones... carrier squelch will do fine for receive.

Your new Alinco will use a specific CPS program that will probably be easier than chirp.

Thanks for helping, chief21. I know the Internet is probably flooded with people asking for Baofeng programming help and ham radio folks are probably sick of it by now!

Back to the problem: I am saving each repeater's info to a separate open channel. I pick a channel, delete/clear it, enter VFO mode, enter the repeater frequency, enter all the appropriate menu settings, then save it as that channel (either one that was unused or one I deleted when starting the process). I'm using the information from Repeaterbook.com to get the settings for the repeaters.

After it is memorized to the channel, I can turn the radio off then back on, go to that channel and see that all the settings are correct. When I do all of this again to program another channel, it changes the settings I had entered for the other repeater channels (only the T-CTS, R-CTS and offset settings). Frustrating!

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
After it is memorized to the channel, I can turn the radio off then back on, go to that channel and see that all the settings are correct. When I do all of this again to program another channel, it changes the settings I had entered for the other repeater channels (only the T-CTS, R-CTS and offset settings). Frustrating!
It sounds as if you might be accidentally over-writing the previous memory channel. I don't recall the exact process, but the general sequence would be something like this... select VFO / set frequencies, tones, etc / save to memory #1; select VFO / set frequencies, tones, etc / save to memory #2; select VFO / set frequencies, tones, etc / save to memory #3; etc., etc.
You mention that you're clearing a channel before you write to it... Not sure that I remember doing that. I think that you should be able to just select a new memory number and write directly to that number. But for me it's been a long time so you might need to research the correct process online.
I do, however, clearly recall that programming a Baofeng radio from the keypad was a real pain! Get a programming cable and use Chirp... much easier!

desmobob

I'm clearing a channel to be absolutely sure there is no settings data associated with it (one of the instructional pages I found emphasized that you shouldn't try to over-write, but use a clear channel. I also tried saving to unused channels. I was absolutely sure to save the settings to individual channels. That was the reason I even turned the radio off, then back on to be sure the process was complete on one channel before I started programming a different one.

Well, hopefully, it's all moot as I have a FTDI programming cable on the way and CHIRP installed on my MacBook, ready to go. I also found out that the new Alinco DJ-MD5T that I have en route has no manual programming instructions and, though it comes with a programming cable, the Alinco software is for a PC only and the radio is not supported by CHIRP. :oops:

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it!

Bob

kny2xb

Desmobob;

I believe that CHIRP usually supports only analog rigs, not digital ones,
I could be wrong on that one

There are PDFs of the basic and the advanced manuals for the DJ-MD5T
on the Remtronix website

Go to the downloads tab

The operation manual has the manual programming steps

The user manual is basics, setup, safety, specs, legal blah-blah, etc

I hope that this helps you out

Greg
Clearwater, FL

desmobob

Desmobob;

I believe that CHIRP usually supports only analog rigs, not digital ones,
I could be wrong on that one

There are PDFs of the basic and the advanced manuals for the DJ-MD5T
on the Remtronix website

Go to the downloads tab

The operation manual has the manual programming steps

The user manual is basics, setup, safety, specs, legal blah-blah, etc

I hope that this helps you out

Greg
Clearwater, FL

The folks at REMtronix (Alinco distributors) also told me CHIRP doesn't support DMR radios, so I believe you are correct. They neglected to mention the on-line operation manual though... thank you very much for pointing that out!

Thanks again,
Bob

desmobob

I received my FTDI programming cable from Mirkit and easily programmed the UV-S9. Also, it seems that my previous problem was non-existent. When I view the menu settings for the repeater frequency, my settings are correct as added and saved. When I view the menu settings on the repeater channel, things are whacky. So, I was OK all along!

The new Alinco looks like a quality item. I'll start the manual programming of my analog stuff tonight.

Thanks again for all the help,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.