programming TRX 1

scanman75

So trying to program this scanner with Whistlers programming software, I did this before probably 5 years ago for this guy and was trying to change whats in it because he moved to a different county. Located in Ohio and trying to put the Marcs system in it, its completely different than doing it with the Unidens. I have put in the sites located in the county, added the talkgroups for the county and its enabled in the scanlist. but it just sits silent, you can see its clearly hitting the sites from the signal bar.
am i missing a setting? I've reset the scanner and tried it again fresh and still nothing.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Have you ruled out encryption (mode "DE" talkgroups) and simulcast distortion (yes there are a few simulcast cells on MARCS) as possibilities? At the least we'll need info on county, site(s) being monitored and agencies of interest to help you with troubleshooting

scanman75

Hey sorry for the long reply. I’m just trying listen to Licking county. And Coshocton county.

scanman75

Have you ruled out encryption (mode "DE" talkgroups) and simulcast distortion (yes there are a few simulcast cells on MARCS) as possibilities? At the least we'll need info on county, site(s) being monitored and agencies of interest to help you with troubleshooting
Licking has simulcast. I have zero issues on all my other radios. Which are the Uniden BCD996xt and BCD996P2. So the Whistler must not like MARCS. I

tvengr

Well Known Member
I’m just trying listen to Licking county. And Coshocton county.
What is your city and which sites are you using? There are 3 sites in Licking County and 5 sites in Coshocton County. If you attach your configuration file, we can take a look at it to check for programming errors. Unlike your Uniden's, the TRX-1 will scan only one site at a time. If you want to scan multiple sites, you will need to setup multiple systems with each one using a different site.

scanman75

What is your city and which sites are you using? There are 3 sites in Licking County and 5 sites in Coshocton County. If you attach your configuration file, we can take a look at it to check for programming errors. Unlike your Uniden's, the TRX-1 will scan only one site at a time. If you want to scan multiple sites, you will need to setup multiple systems with each one using a different site.
So using the whistler programming software it doesn’t set this up when you import the sites from the library?

tvengr

Well Known Member
The sites will be set up but the WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, WS1098, TRX-1, and TRX-2 Whistler scanners will find a site with a good signal and stay on that site. The WS1040 and WS1065 have settings for Multi-Site. If set to Roam, they will find a good site and stay there like your TRX-1. If set to Stationary, they will scan all sites whose control channels are in the frequency list.

Ubbe

TRX scanners display scroll thru a list of what scan lists that are enabled and not what are actually scanned at that moment. So no relation between what are displayed and the current signal strength. If it is simulcast it doesn't matter what site that are scanned, they all should have the same TG activity.

The dwell timer can be set longer, 5 sec, to let the scanner try and decode the signal over a longer time and also TG delay set longer to a 5 sec time can help with simulcast systems. That said, TRX scanners seems to be the worst ones when it comes to trying to monitor simulcast systems. Attach your CDAT file to a message and tvengr can take a look at it. You will need to have the TG's, and any wildcard, set to a scanlist that are actually enabled.

/Ubbe

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is a file for you to try. Each of the 3 sites in Licking County and the 5 sites in Coshocton County is assigned to a scan list. It will be scanning all 8 sites when you upload the file to the scanner. You will be able to listen to the sites one at a time to determine which ones are within range and how much traffic they carry. Scan lists as follows:

SCAN LISTS:
1. LICK Simulcast
2. LICK Johnstown
3. LICK Reynoldsbrg
4. COSH Conesville
5. COSH New Castle
6. COSH Killbuck
7. COSH White Eyes
8. COSH Coshocton

Attachments

• Lick_Cosh Co OH.zip
    467.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

scanman75

Here is a file for you to try. Each of the 3 sites in Licking County and the 5 sites in Coshocton County is assigned to a scan list. It will be scanning all 8 sites when you upload the file to the scanner. You will be able to listen to the sites one at a time to determine which ones are within range and how much traffic they carry. Scan lists as follows:

SCAN LISTS:
1. LICK Simulcast
2. LICK Johnstown
3. LICK Reynoldsbrg
4. COSH Conesville
5. COSH New Castle
6. COSH Killbuck
7. COSH White Eyes
8. COSH Coshocton
I appreciate this, I copied it to the scanner but the scanner is not picking anything up, so I am going to assume the scanner is just broke.

Swipesy

Scanman when my friend's Trx-1 was doing what yours is doing I loaded my config to his radio and it still did nothing. We sent the radio to Whistler and they found that the Logic Board needed to be replaced. When the radio came back from repair it worked great. Your radio may also have a logic board issue. His radio could receive Conventional but not MARCS or GCRCN before the repair. So just testing if weather works does not identify a logic board issues.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Scanman when my friend's Trx-1 was doing what yours is doing I loaded my config to his radio and it still did nothing. We sent the radio to Whistler and they found that the Logic Board needed to be replaced. When the radio came back from repair it worked great. Your radio may also have a logic board issue. His radio could receive Conventional but not MARCS or GCRCN before the repair. So just testing if weather works does not identify a logic board issues.
If weather works, that will check most of the receiver. If the file I attached does not work, I agree that the scanner has a problem. I am very careful creating the files and double check that everything is correct once it is done.