Project Loon Balloons

Status
Not open for further replies.

ind224

I can see one with binoculars from Indianapolis about 46 miles to Spencer from here. Can't get a pic though. A friend in Paragon has been advised to take a look. I'm where the cursor is.

Attachments

• 20200709_202852.jpg
    20200709_202852.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 26

Fowler

Premium Subscriber
Saw one rising in the AM on my Nest camera in NM

royldean

I saw one of these things "hovering" above the Philadelphia area last summer (I think) and for a couple of weeks thought it was a UFO (in the strict sense, not specifically from Glaxxon-7);. Somebody here on RR pointed me in the direction of Project Loon and sure enough there was one in the area on that day. It was weird because it stayed almost perfectly stationary for over an hour (from my perspective, at least), but at the time it was at like 50,000 feet or something like that. I guess that is normal for high altitude balloons (they sometimes hit the doldrums and appear static).

ind224

Good observation. They use the wind speeds at various altitude for steering. Yesterday I was showing 3 knots at times and it was visible for a good 2 hours seemingly stationary. Since they have an N number not a good idea to green laser them (Federal offense actually) but it would probably look very cool from the ground.

zob-slantzero

Premium Subscriber
I took this picture of one of Loon Balloons on July 5th. The balloon was at 52,000 feet and the distance was right about 32 miles away from me. I used a Nikon D500 with their 200-500 lens.

2dtGMqF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.