propagation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
When do you think we are going to see better conditions across the bands. Are we starting to see better conditions or will they get worse.
saint

When do you think we are going to see better conditions across the bands.
You can always keep an eye on various Propagation Forecasts for a clue.

It depends upon the band you're interested in, as you probably know.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The sunspot cycle is on the way up into Cycle 25 and will increase until mid 2025. IOW, propagation is bound to get better.

However, I never bought into "the bands are dead" lament. Myself and people I know were still making contacts even at the bottom of Cycle 24. Many of them tried new modes or new activities, like Parks on the Air, or entered contests where there is always activity.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
However, I never bought into "the bands are dead" lament. Myself and people I know were still making contacts even at the bottom of Cycle 24.

Same here.

Low sunspot numbers are actually good for the lower bands (160- 80 Meters) that work best at night. Even at the recent 2020 minimum, there has been pretty good propagation on 40, 20 and 17 meters. As others have mentioned.. I've seen regular openings to Europe and Asia from North America.

What high sunspot numbers really help are the higher frequencies, (15 meters and up). During sunspot peaks, 10 meters is open all the time during the day (barring solar storms). You no longer have to count on sporadic E openings. Same with 6 meters. When sunspot numbers get up in the 200 range and higher, 6 meters can often be like 20 meters with global propagation.

Status
Not open for further replies.