ProScan History Log vs. programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0516

I have my scanner(BCD325p2) programmed for-

Aviation: RDU Int., GSO Int., regional airports
Law: NCSHP, Counties(Alamance, Chatham, Guilford, Lee, Orange, Moore, Randolph, Wake), local n' municipal police.

But, Apart from aviation. The scanner activity is sparse. None of these counties(I am in Chatham) is out of range w/ my telescopic antenna. I just don't hear a lot of activity.

Yes, I know. Programming could be an issue. Just wondering if, there is not a lot of activity?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Assuming you're in North Carolina, it looks to me like the counties you mentioned currently operate on North Carolina VIPER. The folks on the North Carolina Forum should be able to confirm or negate activity on the local or municipal channels I assume you're inquiring about (might be little or none at all since agencies migrated over to the system I mentioned) I'd suggest clicking the Report link at the bottom of your posting and asking for this thread to be relocated to North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum if you'd like local feedback

Chris0516

Assuming you're in North Carolina, it looks to me like the counties you mentioned currently operate on North Carolina VIPER. The folks on the North Carolina Forum should be able to confirm or negate activity on the local or municipal channels I assume you're inquiring about (might be little or none at all since agencies migrated over to the system I mentioned) I'd suggest clicking the Report link at the bottom of your posting and asking for this thread to be relocated to North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum if you'd like local feedback
Yes, I am in NC. I went on Viper. Putting in everything for the counties I mentioned. On Viper, none of the mentioned counties, says De(partial encryption) or DE(full encryption).

I get the most reception from:
Chatham(home county)
Orange(18.8mi. according to Google Maps)
Durham(I forgot to mention them; 23.9mi. according to Google Maps)
Wake(40.5mi. according to Google Maps)

I only seem to get reception from:
Lee(28.5mi. according to Google Maps)
Alamance(29.5mi. according to Google Maps)
Moore(43mi. according to Google Maps)
Randolph(49.6mi. according to Google Maps)
Guilford(60mi. according to Google Maps)

-like once a day.

I asked in this forum, first. Because of a potential programming error, on my part.

Why would I be getting it better from Wake. But not from Lee, or Alamance.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
On Viper, none of the mentioned counties, says De(partial encryption) or DE(full encryption).
Good! That's what you want to see

Again, you might want to click "Report" at the very bottom of your posting and ask for the thread to be relocated to the NC forum. This question would be best addressed by the locals

overtheair

Aside from possible programming errors, most Viper tower sites are not simulcast(to my knowledge), so it is really dependent on what towers you are scanning vs what towers the agencies are connected to. I just looked, there are only 2 simulcast towers listed in the db. Just for reference, Durham City/County has their own p25 system, Wake County also has its own Type II SmartZone which includes Raleigh and several other agencies. Wake Sheriff dispatched is patched to Viper.

I think you should post what towers/systems you are scanning.

Chris0516

Aside from possible programming errors, most Viper tower sites are not simulcast(to my knowledge), so it is really dependent on what towers you are scanning vs what towers the agencies are connected to. I just looked, there are only 2 simulcast towers listed in the db. Just for reference, Durham City/County has their own p25 system, Wake County also has its own Type II SmartZone which includes Raleigh and several other agencies. Wake Sheriff dispatched is patched to Viper.

I think you should post what towers/systems you are scanning.
I checked the distance. Of each tower, to my house. For each county I mentioned initially.

I did separate p25 systems for the, City of Durham, and County of Durham. So, I have no problem hearing them. The Wake Sheriff is on Viper. But everything else on Viper, for Wake County. Is for backup purposes only. So, I have both a TG system, and Conventional system, for Wake County. Lee County, only has one Control Channel Site.

Alamance-Mebane
Chatham-Pittsboro
Durham-Brian Center
Guilford-Greensboro A&T
Lee-Tramway
Moore-Carthage
Orange-Chapel Hill
Randolph-Shepherd Mountain
Wake-West Raleigh SHP C&L

Last edited:

JimE60

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I am in NC. I went on Viper. Putting in everything for the counties I mentioned. On Viper, none of the mentioned counties, says De(partial encryption) or DE(full encryption).

I get the most reception from:
Chatham(home county)
Orange(18.8mi. according to Google Maps)
Durham(I forgot to mention them; 23.9mi. according to Google Maps)
Wake(40.5mi. according to Google Maps)

I only seem to get reception from:
Lee(28.5mi. according to Google Maps)
Alamance(29.5mi. according to Google Maps)
Moore(43mi. according to Google Maps)
Randolph(49.6mi. according to Google Maps)
Guilford(60mi. according to Google Maps)

-like once a day.

I asked in this forum, first. Because of a potential programming error, on my part.

Did you ever figure out why you can not hear Lee county on Viper? I have the same issue. All channels are in and I have Tramway as the site. Thanks.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Lee County is on a NEXEDGE system. You will not hear Lee County traffic on VIPER. Day to day ops are on the VHF/UHF trunked system and I believe they may have patches to their conventional repeaters still.

JimE60

Premium Subscriber
Lee County is on a NEXEDGE system. You will not hear Lee County traffic on VIPER. Day to day ops are on the VHF/UHF trunked system and I believe they may have patches to their conventional repeaters still.
Thanks, I am new to all of this. So the channels listed in sentinel under Lee county and also listed under viper are all NEXEDGE including sanford pd, fire etc....

Chris0516

Even though, he was asking me. My PC was being ornery. So I wasn't able to reply, until now. Your explanation is better than, what I was thinking. I have P25, NXDN n' DMR, all on my scanner. But, I too, have wondered about Lee County. I only hear them on trunked UHF/VHF. But it is 'once in a blue moon'. It almost sounds' like 'no one is minding the store'. Because there is very little activity from that county. I always double-check my settings. By seeing if it is picked up on Broadcastify.com

Edit: There were two EMS calls at 155.175, a few minutes ago.

overtheair

The Wake Sheriff is on Viper. But everything else on Viper, for Wake County. Is for backup purposes only.
Wake Sheriff is on the Wake County System Here
Yes Dispatch is on Viper and patched to the Wake system, but no idea why. Maybe it's temp till the Wake System is finished upgrading to p25.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Wake Sheriff is on the Wake County System Here
Yes Dispatch is on Viper and patched to the Wake system, but no idea why. Maybe it's temp till the Wake System is finished upgrading to p25.

WSO has a patch for NCSHP to monitor, the only active VIPER WSO usage is prisoner transport out of county on SW Law

Status
Not open for further replies.