Province of Nova Scotia Invests in New Trunked Mobile Radios for Volunteer Public Safety Organizations

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Almost 2,000 more new trunked mobile radios will be provided to volunteer emergency responders by the fall of 2024, improving their ability to communicate as they help Nova Scotians in times of need.

The new equipment will go to more than 300 volunteer fire departments, ground search and rescue teams and other organizations. The radios will be encrypted, which addresses a recommendation from the Mass Casualty Commission Final Report that all emergency response agencies should have access to encrypted radios.

ve1sef

A further move to keep Nova Scotians and tax payers in the dark and avoiding transparency. It's more about hiding the long response times for ambulances and other services from the public.
Had the "Alert" system been used a lot of confusion and near misses could have been avoided. We have "unhoused" people living in tents but, they'll spends millions for new radios.
Governments needs to get priorities in order.

SouthShoreNS

Glad I never went with the SDS100... Seems to be less and less out there we can hear on a trunking system. Eventually everybody will be encrypted even taxi dispatches. :(

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
NS DNR are now encrypted. As per the Mass Shooting Inquiry recommendations. EMO/Fire will be completed by end of year.
According to NS Public Safety Communication Facebook page.
That's unfortunate. Being in Public Safety I understand the reasoning behind it. Should agencies have access to secure comm's? Absolutely. Should normal ops be secure? Probably not... but I won't derail the conversation complaining about encryption.

Will be interesting to see if there will be a push for PEI and NB to follow suit. Seems everything in NFLD is secure from the get-go.

mciupa

Boomer
FYI everyone,

Encryption discussion is permitted. It is when you negatively discuss on-line scanner streaming and encryption together that it is discouraged as it insults the Radioreference owner's other business enterprise, Broadcastify.

Just be courteous in your replies and stay off the moderation radar.

fordman2006

Anyone hear anything on Dept of Public Works talkgroups or new talkgroups? They are changing the radios in the Western district this week. We got new radios today and they changed some of the talkgroups.