PSEC Clear Channel

inlandpatch

Premium Subscriber
Found that NW Call (111) is a clear talkgroup. Sounds like Riverside County is searching for a subject in Ontario at the Jehovah Witnesses center at the 15 fwy and 60. Looks like this might be patched with San Bernardino county LAW MA1 (Encrypted) on San Bernardino's System. Surprising this one talkgroup is clear. Per SDR Trunk looks like NW Call, JURUPA-1 and RED are all patched.

MEDIC135

Premium Subscriber
BDC LE agencies have one encryption key, while RSO has another. If they had the channels patched together, they’d have to decrypt the channels for the time being so everyone could communicate together without issue. If I’m wrong, please let me know, I’m always open to learning more

brandon

Database Admin
Yeah I heard a crazy pursuit and OIS on NW CALL a couple years ago. Not super active but worth keeping in.

Before the PSEC added the AIR CALL talkgroup, they had used ICS Law 2 for hailing Star 9 airship and it was also clear.

2wayfreq

Premium Subscriber
I may add PSEC to a zone, sounds like a few good tidbits may crop up here and there. It was similar when I would monitor OC Red from Riverside County, the occasional dramatic chase. Now encrypted sadly.

inlandpatch

Premium Subscriber
BDC LE agencies have one encryption key, while RSO has another. If they had the channels patched together, they’d have to decrypt the channels for the time being so everyone could communicate together without issue. If I’m wrong, please let me know, I’m always open to learning more
No that's not how it would work, Dispatch wouldn't decrypt a talkgroup to patch to another encrypted talkgroup because of different keys. Most talkgroups are "strapped" or programed to always encrypt traffic regardless and dispatch couldn't change what is programmed on the users radio on the fly. Now of course there are some exceptions but 90% of the time they wouldn't toggle it, one more thing for the dispatcher or the units to remember and do during a high priority call. If she did have that option we would only hear the dispatcher and not the field units.

I was just surprised to see a clear law coordination channel in the clear on PSEC and wanted to see if anyone else had heard clear traffic on this talkgroup or others as I hardly ever monitor PSEC as 99% of traffic is encrypted.