PSR-600 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
I have a PSR-600 that is several years old (I bought it used through RR) that recently has started to do something really annoying. The squelch will either stay open after receiving a transmission or sometimes just open up, with the squelch roar. Adjusting the squelch knob does no good. I tried it it the house on AC power and in the car with DC power. I tried on several different kids of antennas. Running out of ideas... The thought I had is that that PLL (Phase Loop Lock) isn't working right which makes me think the radio is toast and I'll have to buy a new one. Any ideas?

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
PSR-600 Problem

1- I suppose I could try spraying some in to the 'Squelch - Volume' control...

2- In three hours I had a response from GRE Tech Support. He thought it would probably be repairable and I should send it in for them to look at.

I'll keep you guys posted.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The same volume-squelch control is used in the PRO-97, PRO-197, PRO-106 and others. I've replaced the control in several PRO-97's to fix the problem you describe and replacing the control probably will repair your radio. Confirm that the problem occurs with no antenna connected to the radio to rule out other causes.

Cleaning the control is probably ineffective since it is fairly well sealed. The problem seems to be be a poor quality part that just wears out early in the life of the radio. If you are comfortable replacing the control yourself and if GRE will sell the control you can save time and money.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
PSR-600 Problem

The problem manifests itself whether there is an antenna connected or not. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether it's a 1/4, 1/2 wave VHF antenna or a couple ganged together, or if I'm using AC or DC power...

hpycmpr

This may not be your answer, but there is a problem with the PSR-600 squelch opening up on strong, narrow band signals. The answer that works for me is to turn on the local attenuate for those channels. The result can be amazing. I haven't had the problem with the wide band channels or weak signals fortunately.

Steve

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
PSR-600 Problem

Interesting but I seem to have the problem with the 'Global Attenuate' turned on or not... It seems to happen regardless of what I'm listening to. I do primarily listen to aircraft and railroads (the railroads have narrow banded). Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.