PSR-800 Eats Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jis100

Premium Subscriber
radio shuts off but batteries still show 1.2v

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am using a new set of Radio Shack Enercell NiMh batteries. They are only lasting a few hours and then the radio quits (shuts off). I have a VOM which shows the batteries still have 1.2 v in them. Is there a setting in the radio to correct this. I have tried playing with the battery alert settings but no matter what setting I use nothing helps. Thanks for whatever advice anyone can give me. The radio battery switch is set to NiMH.

Jeff (KB8PIH)

ps. sorry if this is off topic but I cannot find the "new thread button"

kruser

Premium Subscriber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am using a new set of Radio Shack Enercell NiMh batteries. They are only lasting a few hours and then the radio quits (shuts off). I have a VOM which shows the batteries still have 1.2 v in them. Is there a setting in the radio to correct this. I have tried playing with the battery alert settings but no matter what setting I use nothing helps. Thanks for whatever advice anyone can give me. The radio battery switch is set to NiMH.

Jeff (KB8PIH)

ps. sorry if this is off topic but I cannot find the "new thread button"

Follow the link in the 2nd post of this thread and it will explain how to change the settings using the ezscan software.

jis100

Premium Subscriber

I have done that but it did not help. I tried several different groups of battery settings. The problem is not the battery indicator, the problem is that the radio quits after a few hours and a VOM shows the NiMh batteries still have 1.2 volts.

Jeff (KB8PIH)

W6KRU

The fact that the batteries have a no-load voltage reading of 1.2V doesn't mean much. The voltage reading will probably drop significantly when under load.

jis100

Premium Subscriber

<<<<<<The fact that the batteries have a no-load voltage reading of 1.2V doesn't mean much. The voltage reading will probably drop significantly when under load.>>>>>>>

Thanks, I had not thought of that. You are probably right.

Jeff (KB8PIH)

orpcat

Premium Subscriber
I stopped charging batteries in the scanner when a cheap set I bought a Micro Center shorted out and started melting in the radio, thanks goodness I caught them before the scanner was damaged it just melted the battery holder. I had a set do the same thing in a charger also. Don't buy Ultra brand batteries from Micro Center.

If you charge the batteries in the scanner you may not be fully charging the batteries. I bought a energizer charger that came with 2400mh batteries but I could only get about 6 hours on a charge. The charger indicated that the batteries were fully charged in about 6-8 hours and I would get 6-8 hours out of them.

I recently purchased a La Crosse BC700 charger that I am very happy with. It has a LCD that shows voltage, hours on charge, milliamps of charge added, and lets you select the type of charge, test mode, refresh, discharge. When it finishes charging it goes into trickle charge mode but you should not let your batteries set in the charger for a long period of time. It comes with a owners manual that explains alot about charging batteries.Takes some time to learn how to use it, but I just let it default to a 200ma per hour charge rate, takes about 12-13 hours to charge a 2400-2500mh battery. I seem to get about 10 hours with the back light on low, volume on about 15 scanning analog motorola system. I use energizer 2400mh, radio shack 2400mh, and sanyo 2400 mh. The best batteries are the sanyo but are more expensive, I am not sure the extra cost equals the performance though. I get about the same run time with the energizer and radio shack, maybe about an hour more with the sanyos.

I change the batteries when the scanner shuts off, I have the sounds/ beeps set to stealth so the low battery warning does not sound. The battery gauge does not do a very good job I agree. Mine too will operate for 2-3 hours when the battery indicater is very low.

Last edited:

mspatton

I will second ORPCAT's experience. I got a great set of batteries from Scan Master when I bought
my PRE800. I knew little about rechargable batteries and bought some cheap ones with a fast
charger. Waste of money. Even now that I have a LaCrosse 700 I can not condition the cheapies
for more than 3 hours of work. I took a suggestion in this thread and got some Powerex 2700's
from Thomas Distributing and am getting 12-13 hours out of them.

Scanning continously through the day
Screen Contrast at 3
Keys and screen timeout at 5
Volume at 20
Scanning 3 groups

This place is a great reference for beginners

Oh, and the $20 Radio Shack 800mh antenna was worth it too....

scosgt

I put in a new set of Rayovac NiMH that I got from Abes of Maine for around $4.99 for four.
After 5.5 hours the meter reads 1/2.

scosgt

Can the backlight be set to just go on when the radio breaks squelch and off again when the transmission is over? I have not found that setting if there is one.

mspatton

Can the backlight be set to just go on when the radio breaks squelch and off again when the transmission is over? I have not found that setting if there is one.

I use...
General Setting Tab-.Backlight Settings
Ignore first for both, Area = Both, Timeout of 5

This will turn on the display and keys for a minimum of 5 sec.

You can further edit in scanlist by channel
Highlight desired channel and Click on Bklt/LED to edit each individual. I edit each and set a color

Remember they delay setting here will hold the channel open and light on for specified time after mic closes.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone

In the software go into the Scanlist Tab and then click on the Bklt/LED column for each TG or Freq you want to make the backlight come on for. The settings available are: Leave, On, Flash. While I haven't really tried doing so I theink that you can do it either entry by entry or as groups by choosing a single TG/Freq or by choosing a group of TGs/Freqs.

I haven't tried doing in the radio itself as I think that using the software is a lot faster.

scosgt

In the software go into the Scanlist Tab and then click on the Bklt/LED column for each TG or Freq you want to make the backlight come on for. The settings available are: Leave, On, Flash. While I haven't really tried doing so I theink that you can do it either entry by entry or as groups by choosing a single TG/Freq or by choosing a group of TGs/Freqs.

I haven't tried doing in the radio itself as I think that using the software is a lot faster.

That did it!
I think that will stretch a little more battery life, although I live in a busy area and the radio is receiving most of the time.

ahearn

Premium Subscriber
Like orpcat I've found that charging batteries in the scanner is a bit of a problem in that the batteries heat up too much (it's not just cheap batteries that do it).

The problem seems to be that the scanner doesn't have a very sophistocated charging circuit in that it doesn't know when the battery is fully charged and keeps on send current through it, which causes heating.

Instead they have a crude way of handling it with the "Battery Charge Option" under the Advance Features tab in the software. You set the number of hours you want to charge. It's impossible to set a correct number because the number of hours would depend on the discharge state in the beginning. I had changed mine from "Default" to 16 hours based on my first experience with fully discharged batteries not getting fully charged. More recently, partially discharged batteries overheated at that setting.

BTW, I recently experimented with AA lithiums (Energizer). I got four full days at about 6+ hours a day, low-level always-on display, and fairly heavy activity at about 18 volume level. They are not worth the cost for everyday scanning but are good for emergency backup when charging is inconvenient or impossible.

Halfpint

BTW, I recently experimented with AA lithiums (Energizer). I got four full days at about 6+ hours a day, low-level always-on display, and fairly heavy activity at about 18 volume level. They are not worth the cost for everyday scanning but are good for emergency backup when charging is inconvenient or impossible.

Your figures about how long the Energizer AA Lithiums last pretty much match mine. After finding how long they lasted I've pretty much kept a set in both scanners, 700 & 800, and a backup set in a 8 battery holder in my general carry case. While I don't use them for regular running because I usually have the scanner connected to external power at home and in the car. I've found that they are definitely better, for me, when I am `on foot' than any of my rechargables. (I can carry 12 of the Lithiums easier than I can carry the same number of rechargables and a recharger. Though, even on one of my long 4 day weekend `railfanning' trips, I've never carried more than 12 of the Lithiums as backup for both my 700 and 800. [IE: 2 4 battery backups for the 800 and 2 2 battery backups for the 700. One 8 battery carrier and one 4 battery carrier.] And even on the longer trips it has been almost `overkill'.)

Now, *if* I *only* ran my scanners off of batteries exclusively I would probably tend more to using rechargeables like the Eneloops / Duraloops and would use MAHA chargers to keep them charged. I'd still keep a few `sets' of the Lithiums around for those times when recharging wasn't a current option but wouldn't use them like I do now.

ahearn

Premium Subscriber
I like the Lithium option and keep them for backups. I just bought 8 Eneloops and are now using them when using the scanner around the house. I like the fact that they have a low self-discharge rate, which has been a problem of mine with rechargeables in the past --- you didn't use your scanner for a while and then when you really needed it later, the batteries were discharged. In fact, I just returned to using rechargeables (with the Eneloops) after about 4 years on not using them.

Halfpint

Eneloops are great batteries. I just wish I could find them in stores.

You *might* still be able to find Duracell `DuraLoops' still in stores. (`DuraLoops' is a name coined by users over on the Candlepower site.)

What are `DuraLoops' you ask. Well... They are basically `Eneloops' that have been repackaged under the DuraCell brand name. They can be recognized by the fact that instead of a black insulator at the positive end they have a WHITE insulator. (They also say, if I `dis-remembers prezactly I think', that they are `pre-charged' rechargables on the packaging.)

Now... I will admit that it has been a year or two since I've bought any to replace the 16 or so that I already have but, I also have been having, so far knocking on wood, no problems with mine. (With 2 teenagers in the house with their assorted battery powered gadgets they *do* get a bit of a workout.) And comparing them against the Eneloops I also have I have been getting basically the same service. I don't have any in the original packaging *and* also don't still have any receipts remaining that I can quote a price from but, I seem to recall that they might actually have been selling for a tad bit less than the Eneloops *and* one didn't have to add S&H.

Status
Not open for further replies.