PSR600 Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highpockets

I just purchased the psr600, I was a Uniden man for years. Well, when I unpacked the box I expected to pick up a scanner the weight of a business letter envelope, to my surprise it is very well built, nice weight, feels like a good ham radio. Knowing it was coming I purchased win500 (excellent software Don) I knew I had 2 or 3 days to enter what I wanted into the software, I didn't use the RR import or cut paste, I typed everything in by hand, don't like the way Ocean County, NJ is setup, alfa tag names, some have 1 as a tag, others nothing, also State Police, did my own thing. Received the scanner, loaded the driver, uploaded the info, and was up in running in 10 minutes. I still have to fool with a few settings (waiting for Don's help file) but all in all I'm very happy with this unit. The receiver is excellent, I receive PD's I never heard before. I plugged a Motorola speaker in the ex speaker jack (not amplified) and the audio is even better. I also did the upgrades, 1 file for each upgrade, really good directions, done in 15 minutes. I will say, without win500 I most likely would be bald by now, not easy to program without software, I'm not as quick as I used to be, :) and because of my age (eye sight) I just wish the unit had a bigger display. Nice job GRE and nice job Don, I very happy with the Scanner!

n2mdk

Good to hear Steve, happy scanning. I think you will find the GRE to be quite a bit more sensitive than the Unidens (could be that are more intune with their feminine side)

Highpockets

Good to hear Steve, happy scanning. I think you will find the GRE to be quite a bit more sensitive than the Unidens (could be that are more intune with their feminine side)

And to think, for a month I couldn't decide what to get 996 or 600, one of the reasons was the upgrades that come out on both, and to my surprise the day I received it gre came out with another upgrade. Thanks Jerri. Good one on the feminine side, that must be it. :D

My experience is the same. I just plain end up hearing more cool things with this scanner than with any competitor. Of course each persons situation is unique and opinions vary, but I agree with you completely.

It's a great radio, and worthy of a carefully chosen outdoor antenna, despite what some will tell you, that it's front end can't handle an outdoor antenna. Don't believe it. It's almost a shame to leave such a great piece of equipment with only the little thing they give you in the box.

Mine is connected to a diamond antenna switch with two outdoor antennas to choose from, and I wish I had a larger switch and a few more antennas all available to this one base scanner. It is worthy.

Highpockets

My experience is the same. I just plain end up hearing more cool things with this scanner than with any competitor. Of course each persons situation is unique and opinions vary, but I agree with you completely.

It's a great radio, and worthy of a carefully chosen outdoor antenna, despite what some will tell you, that it's front end can't handle an outdoor antenna. Don't believe it. It's almost a shame to leave such a great piece of equipment with only the little thing they give you in the box.

Mine is connected to a diamond antenna switch with two outdoor antennas to choose from, and I wish I had a larger switch and a few more antennas all available to this one base scanner. It is worthy.

Thanks for your comments, I'm glad I got it, I have it connected to my ham antenna, don't remember what make & model, I know it a triband antenna, works great. Left click on my avatar, in my shack pictures, I have a picture of the 3 antennas I work off. Have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.