PSR600-RID Display Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjlamb

I've just taken delivery of my first GRE scanner.... PSR600. While it is my first "Object Oriented" radio, I found programming and setup fairly intuitive. I had the radio programmed and up and running in short order. The only issue I seem to be having is getting the thing to reliably display the alpha tags that I have associated with my Radio IDs. I'm monitoring a Motorola Type II P25 Digital System

I have the RIDs set to "Private" and have made sure that they have been set to display on line 4. Only on occasion does the unit actually display my RID alpha tags. Other times it simply displays either "RadioID 123XXX" or "TSYS".

I'm well aware of how channel grants work but, this radio seems very spotty (at best) in how it handles alpha tags associated with RIDs. My Unidens aren't perfect with RIDs either but, at least so far, they seem to be light years ahead of the GRE with respect to displaying RID information.

Is this a known weakness of the GRE units or am I missing something?

Last edited:

N8IAA

I wondered the same thing. There is one system that I like to have the RID's programmed. You have to program each RID as a TG object, then alphatag it. That simple:)
HTH,
Larry

mikey60

The PSR-600 (and PSR-500) depend on being on the control channel to get the radio ID. If the scanner is joining the conversation in progress (at least on a P25 System) then that information is not available in the control channel information. The PSR-600 does not get the radio ID from the voice channel, so if it missed it on the control channel, it won't show it.

Mike

sjlamb

The PSR-600 (and PSR-500) depend on being on the control channel to get the radio ID. If the scanner is joining the conversation in progress (at least on a P25 System) then that information is not available in the control channel information. The PSR-600 does not get the radio ID from the voice channel, so if it missed it on the control channel, it won't show it.

Mike

I appreciate the response but as I said; I understand how channel grants work. Where I'm at is that I am now getting the RadioID NUMBERS to show but not the ALPHA TAGS that I have associated with RadioIDs and uploaded to the radio. I have also check off the box in ARC500 that asks if I want Radio IDs Dispayed on Line 4 of the Display.

Soooo..... the only question now is, why can't I get the RadioID Alpha Tags to display instead of the number?? I'm using the most current Firmware 2.1 and DSP 1.4 Does it have anything to do with many of my alpha tags using parenthese "( )"? Can the PSR600 display parenthese marks?

Attachments

• RR-Temp1-Screenshot.jpg
    RR-Temp1-Screenshot.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Steve

Make sure that the RIDS are actually assigned to the trunked system in question. Not trying to sound like a smart-xxx but the PRIVATES you have listed above are assigned to the SARASOTA COUNTY trunked system - just checking to make sure.

The other item is to make sure the option of TGRPS in disabled SLs = Locked Out is UNCHECKED. I use WIN500, so not sure exactly where in the ARC500 software this option is.

Also, make sure that the PRIVATE objects are also assigned to the same scanlist as the GROUP objects. I'm sure this is the case, but just check to make sure.

On P25 systems that I've monitored I've seen the same type of behavior you mention. It all depends on when the talkgroup becomes active and the scanner interprets the "call grant". Gotta remember, it's a scanner and not a $3000 radio...

scannerfreak

Database Admin
I appreciate the response but as I said; I understand how channel grants work. Where I'm at is that I am now getting the RadioID NUMBERS to show but not the ALPHA TAGS that I have associated with RadioIDs and uploaded to the radio. I have also check off the box in ARC500 that asks if I want Radio IDs Dispayed on Line 4 of the Display.

Soooo..... the only question now is, why can't I get the RadioID Alpha Tags to display instead of the number?? I'm using the most current Firmware 2.1 and DSP 1.4 Does it have anything to do with many of my alpha tags using parenthese "( )"? Can the PSR600 display parenthese marks?

I see that system has 6 sites. It looks to me like you are trying to use one set of ID's for several sites (scanlists). I'm guessing you have multiple sites programmed as their own system, as I see the 5 scanlists you have them associated with and the 5 trunked systems you have programmed.

You have to program the RID's for each site. You can't use one set of RID's across multiple sites because talkgroups and RID's can only belong to one TSYS.

So, that's the reason sometimes you see the alpha tags and other times you don't. It's working on the first site and the others the radio isn't seeing the alpha tags because they are not programmed for that site or TSYS.

Last edited:

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Glad to help. If you find yourself in a bind with not enough room to create all those objects, another option would be to use the Multi-Site>Stationary mode.

Program one TSYS with just the control channels. Then set the Multi-Site Mode option to stationary. Then check the box "Check all CC's in every scan mode pass".

I'm not sure how that's done in ARC as I've never used it. Some users have reported the scanning is a little slower vs programming each site separately. You could also break them down into 2 or 3 sites per TSYS. Just have to play around and see what works for you.

Last edited:

sjlamb

Glad to help. If you find yourself in a bind with not enough room to create all those objects, another option would be to use the Multi-Site>Stationary mode.

Program one TSYS with just the control channels. Then set the Multi-Site Mode option to stationary. Then check the box "Check all CC's in every scan mode pass".

I'm not sure how that's done in ARC as I've never used it. Some users have reported the scanning is a little slower vs programming each site separately. You could also break them down into 2 or 3 sites per TSYS. Just have to play around and see what works for you.

Yeah... I'm playing around with the organizational challenges now. The Uniden DMA models are alot more flexible in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.