Purposely interfering with MARCS in Lima

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Or it's possible it wasn't intentional at all. BDA, wireless camera, wireless mic, amplified rabbit ears, CATV amps and wireless routers are all things I've found interfering with 7/800 systems. And he just got unlucky by having the "pipe bomb" and whatever caused the interference.

Or it was intentional and he's a turd. :p

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Or it's possible it wasn't intentional at all. BDA, wireless camera, wireless mic, amplified rabbit ears, CATV amps and wireless routers are all things I've found interfering with 7/800 systems. And he just got unlucky by having the "pipe bomb" and whatever caused the interference.

It's amazing how little unintentional signal can cause serious degradation on the RX side of a repeater. I once had a periodic signal causing serious issues with the input of my UHF ham repeater during the coordination waiting period when (at the time) you were required to run the RX in carrier squelch mode; I looked with a spectrum analyzer and saw a carrier sweeping across the input frequency and quite a way above and below it. A group of us got out the DFing equipment and tracked the cause to an old wideband TV preamplifier a few miles away, which hadn't been used in years but was still powered up; something had caused it to start oscillating and sweeping up and down the band. We asked the homeowner to unplug it; he did so (and threw the box away) and the problem went away.

A short time later the coordination waiting period was up and I put PL on the input of the machine, never to be carrier squelch again. Even with PL that oscillating preamp could have wreaked havoc with the input sensitivity, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.