Putting the SDS200 on wifi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbritton1201

Captain1201
Does anyone know if I can utilize the USB port on the front of the SDS200 scanner to install a USB wireless adapter to put the scanner onto Wifi, rather than having to use a hardwired LAN connection cable between the scanner and the router for remote acces via cell phone? My scanner location isn't close to my router. I know the BCD536HP has a wireless dongle for this purpose, and it works well, as I have a BCD536HP connected to the internet via the dongle rather than having to hard wire a LAN cable between the BCD536HP scanner and the router. There's an Ethernet connection point on the front of the SDS200, and I'm not sure the USB port next to the Ethernet port would permit a wireless USB adapter to work in lieu of a hardwire Ethernet cable between the router and the scanner.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if I can utilize the USB port on the front of the SDS200 scanner to install a USB wireless adapter to put the scanner onto Wifi, rather than having to use a hardwired LAN connection cable between the scanner and the router for remote acces via cell phone? My scanner location isn't close to my router. I know the BCD536HP has a wireless dongle for this purpose, and it works well, as I have a BCD536HP connected to the internet via the dongle rather than having to hard wire a LAN cable between the BCD536HP scanner and the router. There's an Ethernet connection point on the front of the SDS200, and I'm not sure the USB port next to the Ethernet port would permit a wireless USB adapter to work in lieu of a hardwire Ethernet cable between the router and the scanner.
I am 90% sure the answer is NO. There's no software or drivers in the SDS200 for USB output, setting wifi parameters or anything else and the micro-USB is simply configured to present itself as a mass storage device or serial device. The Type-A input USB port on the front is not active for anything at this point.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am 90% sure the answer is NO. There's no software or drivers in the SDS200 for USB output, setting wifi parameters or anything else and the micro-USB is simply configured to present itself as a mass storage device or serial device. The Type-A input USB port on the front is not active for anything at this point.

The Micro-USB port on the front of the SDS200 is two-way. Scanner software uploads programming information through that port as well as firmware updates. It also functions in & out for commands and display info when running in virtual mode.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
The Micro-USB port on the front of the SDS200 is two-way. Scanner software uploads programming information through that port as well as firmware updates. It also functions in & out for commands and display info when running in virtual mode.
Yes, all active USB ports are two-way as far as data is concerned. That wasn't the question/issue. You can't plug in a wifi adapter, there is no software or hardware drivers to activate it.

The post a couple above about a USB powered ethernet bridge would work, but it's not a USB adapter... It just draws power from the type-a USB port.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Except power. :)

So yes, one can plug something like this into the USB port and Ethernet port and connect your SDS200 via wi-fi.
-

Yes, pretty convenient. I'm using the USB-A port to power a Wifi bridge on my SDS200.

sdsconnections2.jpg

rbritton1201

Captain1201
Well, I happen to have a brand new extra Cudy AC600 Wireless Dual Band USB Wifi Adapter ,that I have just lying around, that I was hoping I could just plug into the USB port on the front of the scanner for Wifi access. But, it sounds like while the USB port on the scanner has power, there isn't any means to introduce Wifi through that USB port alone.

Now, that has me wondering if there is a USB to Ethernet Adapter plug, that the AC600 could plug onto, that would plug into the ethernet connection on the front of scanner that would power and connect the AC600 to the front Ethernet port on the front of the scanner. AC600.jpg

rbritton1201

Captain1201
Maybe this...? $6 bucks! But...may need a Poe switch? But, if it's a wireless adapter, would it still need a Poe switch? Why? If it needed a Poe switch, then it wouldn't be practical for me, as it would be just as easy for me to fish an Ethernet cable to the radio. If it does not need a Poe switch, then it might be a little cumbersome, sticking out of the front of the scanner along with the Cudy AC600 connected to it.

• This adapter one end RJ45 male can only be inserted in the computer's RJ45 network jack, the other end USB2.0 female connected to a USB port of the dialer or router, the rj45 male to usb2.0 female adapter can be used when the USB cable cable for edge An ADSL modem or USB interface with a USB port.
  • It can be used to connect a USB ADSL modem to a router with an RJ45 socket, but please note: you need a PoE data switch.and Note: This adapter can not be USB2.0 plug in one other USB interface device, the other end connected to the computer's RJ45 interface, it will not work,Does not work for USB 1.1 (Printer style USB)
  • RJ45 Male to USB AF Adapter for network,Easily connect and transfer data between networks with this USB female to RJ45 male Ethernet adapter(you need a PoE data switch)
  • Equipment used: 1. Have the operating system of the machine: such as a USB interface with a wireless ADSL dialer and router, monitoring dedicated USB interface, a network transmission function of the camera (not connected to the computer network video chat that kind of camera ).2. Don't have the equipment to bring their own operating system, such as: other need to insert the USB port on the computer tips to find equipment.

port.jpg

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From our SDS FAQ - this subject was discussed in this thread....

Mike

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
The Type-A input USB port on the front is not active for anything at this point.

It has 5V output. I use my port to power a portable scanner.

I know many people on the forums here, use it to do a Wi-Fi bridge.

As for an "official use" of the plug, there is nothing active.
However "unofficially" it has an output of 5V ;)

In the past I used it to power portable fans, desk lamps, charging my cell phone, charging my flashlights, etc...
One of my fav uses, used to be unlimited power to my gopro camera.

Good thing is, it don't hurt the scanner or performance :)

donc13

Premium Subscriber
It has 5V output. I use my port to power a portable scanner.

I know many people on the forums here, use it to do a Wi-Fi bridge.

As for an "official use" of the plug, there is nothing active.
However "unofficially" it has an output of 5V ;)

In the past I used it to power portable fans, desk lamps, charging my cell phone, charging my flashlights, etc...
One of my fav uses, used to be unlimited power to my gopro camera.

Good thing is, it don't hurt the scanner or performance :)
WiFi bridge would connect to the ethernet port. But yes, the type A USB port does have 5v on it.

a417

Maybe this...? $6 bucks! But...may need a Poe switch? But, if it's a wireless adapter, would it still need a Poe switch? Why? If it needed a Poe switch, then it wouldn't be practical for me, as it would be just as easy for me to fish an Ethernet cable to the radio. If it does not need a Poe switch, then it might be a little cumbersome, sticking out of the front of the scanner along with the Cudy AC600 connected to it.
<snip>

View attachment 109460
Wow, I haven't seen that in 10 years. I had one of those exact same things, but it wasn't a "converter". It was part of a chinesium kit that was "connect anything to anything" and it used male to male USB-A cables (the 5 wire kind that would also pass the USB ID line - not commonly found anymore) and the adaptor ends of it could be RJ-11, RJ-45, DE-9, USB-A/B/micro/mini and some other plugs i can't remember now. No active components, couldn't get gigabit ethernet out of it due to limits, couldn't run DTR/DSR on serial, but it was cheap. Had to be careful you didn't expect it to match interfaces, ie; you couldn't plug in USB-A at one end and expect ethernet out the other, but it helped me the one time I needed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.