QSL cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLynch7

Which broadcasters no longer send written QSL cards? I remember reading somewhere BBCWS no longer does. I'm not sure why I didn't get into this aspect of the hobby sooner! I think that sending reports shows that there is still an audience in North America for shortwave broadcasts.

k9rzz

I know this is going to sound like a wise crack, it's not intended to be, but to answer your question ... you tell us!

Part of the challenge to collecting QSL cards from shortwave stations is to actually get something from stations that might actually not be 'into' QSLing. Those are the most prized cards DXers possess. The easy ones are WWV, WWVH, CHU, Radio Havana Cuba, and I don't know who. Get one from Ouagadougou, Burkino Faso in Africa ... now you've GOT something!

WHich ones can't you get cards from? It depends on how hard you try I guess! LOL

CLynch7

That is actually a very good answer, thanks! I hadn't really thought about it. Passport says BBC doesn't QSL due to budgetary reasons, I wonder if an IRC would get them to send one...

n5ims

One idea that may still work is what I used several decades ago when I was into SW station chasing. Try sending a letter to the station's chief engineer but don't (repeat, DO NOT) ask for a QSL card. Instead state that you were listing on this frequency at this time (GMT or THEIR local time) and heard what you think was their station (adding additional details such as signal levels, program type, language, etc.), and ask if it may have been their station you were listening to. Often times, they would send a letter confirming your receiption (counts as a QSL card in most cases). I've had a few that send a rare QSL card of theirs in addition to the letter.

The hard part is finding the chief engineer's name and contact info, but this is included in some of the books and broadcast lists. The hard part is you must identify where that specific transmission was sent from to identify the correct engineer. Often they are sent from relay stations where the propagation is better for the desired reception area.

liquidgee

Getting QSL Cards & Engineers Names

CLynch7,

What do you define as a QSL card?

I ask this as what I have done in the past in receiving reception reports from AM broadcast stations is simply mail a letter explaining I am an interested listener of the bands whose hobby is verifying on-air stations I've received. In the letter I state the equipment and antenna(s) used in reporting the signals and a brief description of the programing, times, frequency, and call letters. A self-addressed stamped envelope is included, of course. It hasn't failed yet that whoever the report is sent to will write "Confirmed" on the aforementioned manuscript and return it in the SASE usually with their name or initials on it.

If this is satisfactory for you, as it is for me, give it a try.

As previously mentioned by n5ims, getting a name of an engineer can be tricky. I'll usually look up the call letters of a station on the internet. If an engineer's name can't be found, try tracking down the name of a program director or some other person's title listed on the station's information page and addressing a lettter to him or her - they'll be glad to sign it for you or have someone else at the station do it for you.

Good luck,

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you're heavy into MW QSLing, then clubs like the National Radio Club or IRCA - which I'm sure run columns on the subject - would be the way I would go. They're likely to have engineer names, and which stations would QSL or not.

Same thing goes for NASWA for HF broadcast stations. My old friend Sam Barto has been doing the QSL column since it seems forever....73 Mike

osros

Feed Provider
What I did which was successful for me was to put some time and effort into your reports and make it very easy for them to QSL. I put together a nice colorful nicely formated report with my Address, Picture of my shack, List of my equipment, The details with a SINPO code and a SINPO chart for those who dont use it and a written note on the content or description of the reception.

I also included a blank QSL card which is titled " Verification of Reception " for them to fill out and sign and or stamp of station in case they dont have QSL cards. On the report I ask if they have a QSL card I would prefer it but if not please use the enclosed card. And of course a envelope and return postage.

Back in the day I think I got 80% QSL cards and 20% my Verification card back filled out. The Navy were awesome QSLs Used to always get a post card of the ship and nice feedback on it.

I like to start it again. I wonder if the Military will still do it.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I use DXtreme logging program DX Logging Software for Ham Radio & SWL . After I have logged the station I send an e-mail generated by DXtreme. The generated format is very conducive to getting a response, but, just in case, I also send a brief audio clip of the transmission, again recorded to my PC via DXtreme. In addition, I then generate a hard copy and send it to the station engineer (as per WRTH). When/If I receive the QSL card I indicate in the original log that it was received (this computes how long long it took) then scan both sides, yes...via DXtreme. Now I have the entire affair conveniently logged and can view the QSL card right from the log entry!!

I know this sounds like a commercial, but I promise I have no affiliation with DXtreme. I am just a VERY satisfied customer.

John
PS - The latest DXtreme update allows for rig control via Omni-RIg or HRD and will auto-populate appropriate fields after double-clicking on an EIBI entry!! Now if I can only get my AR5000+3 to work with either program ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.