QSO contacts, etiquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivers1234

hi. anyone know how to qso? as in send a card etc receive one? i'd like to do so. the websites were kind of fuzzy. do i just ask the person on the air or do i just get his callsign and send a card? is it implied?

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
The term is QSL card ( after the Q signal for I am acknowledging receipt ). Googling that term should get you a lot of information. Sending a card can be as purchasing some cards and mailing them to stations you have contacted. Due to the cost several other methods have came into being- for the most part mainly services (or bureaus) to allow bulk mailing. There are also electronic equivalents. Way to big a topic for a simple reply but this should get you started.

Hope this helps

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
A QSO is a contact, usually a two-way contact between stations where some sort of information is exchanged by both stations. At the bare minimum, I clearly hear and understand your callsign and you clearly hear and understand my callsign. Of course, a QSO can be much more than just exchanging callsigns.

A QSL is a confirmation of a contact. It is amateur radio courtesy to confirm a QSO with a QSL, though not all QSOs are QSLd. Repeater contacts, contacts made during a net, and common or repetitive contacts are often not QSLd.

You can QSL with QSL cards (either professionally or home made), via the ARRL Logbook of the World, via eQSL, via QRZ, or other means. Note that if you are chasing a certain award, such as DXCC, you must follow the award organizer's rules for QSLing.

If you want a QSL from someone, you can ask on the air for one or you can initiate the process by sending your QSL for the contact. Hopefully, the other station, upon receipt of your QSL, will send his QSL in return.

SCPD

QRT
Delivers, the art of QSO’ing is nothing but the art of conversation. As in any social interaction, there are people you will hit it off with immediately-- and of course there are those that will send you off to the bar for an adult beverage,--- if catch my meaning.... ;)
As a radio ham, you have an instant starting point from which to begin. Hams love to talk radio, and this is that universal starting point. Personally, I very, very rarely talk radio on the air. I find there are a myriad of other things to talk about…so I ask questions- nothing starts a QSO better than giving your contact something to talk about-- something like “where are you?… what do you do for a living?.. I have never been that towne, have you lived there long?… etc. etc.” Simplistic, but you get my gist.

This will start conversations that you will remember, and be remember’d for, for years, cementing radio friendships that span the world. Be yourself; ask questions; show an interest in the other guy/gal - courtesy, politeness, patience- and talk normally; its all to easy to think that we have to sound like NASA Mission Control talking techno-geeky speak….. But these are just things we do every day, No?

Be yourself !

As far as QSL’ing, that is another art form. Some ham really like to exchange cards… when I first started as a young teenage ham in the UK, I receive cards from practically everyone I talked to. I absolutely loved it!- and I responded religiously, following my ham father’s advice he got from his ham father--
…………………The final courtesy of a QSO is a QSL……….

If you receive one, return yours. You will enjoy getting them, and sending them- think of it kind’a like the old Victorian practice of the Calling Card, followed by the engraved Thank Note after the social call…. An old but polite way of life still living on in ham radio… do your part to preserve it.
Like I said, there is an art to it… this is what I do/did (did, for today I return cards only; I don’t send them out anymore.)

I always send by Snail Mail-- a printed card in an envelope, via USPS-- handwritten address, a stamp-- on the card- handwritten- are the particulars of the QSO ; the date, band, RST etc., and some personal notes about how I enjoyed the contact. If you really! want a card from me, enclose a SASE (self address’d stamp’d envelope,) -- and if I am that rare DX and you !! Really Really !! need to confirm my country, enclosing a “green stamp*,” or two; some postcards from your country etc… that will make me smile -an insure I respond very quickly. :)
As far as the rare DX QSL card stuff, the above is but my method… others may have differing advice. I will say however, that I have been surrounded by amateur radio from the time I drew my first breathe….. I have operated from all over the world, from some pretty rare places, and I know all sides of the QSL game. The above works for me.

Okay a summation--
Send the best, most unique, card you can afford/design. Don’t use the Bureau’s, and , let’s see-- oh yes--I haven’t used - or intend to- the new E-verify type confirmations that seem to be in vogue (yes, I am a dinosaur…. :)
‘
Does this give you some insights Delivers?… please remember, this is one person’s perspective. Have fun! :)

………………….CF

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Hmmmmm..... I realized this morning that you probably meant "QSL" instead of "QSO," Delivers.
Therefore, please feel free to ignore my QSO comments. :)
“The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter. ’tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.”
.........Mark Twain
...............................CF

Delivers1234

Hi. Yes I meant both qsl and qso.

So when i speak to someone and get their call sign, I have the option of sending a qsl and I don't have to ask the receiver if they would send one back to me on the radio. The receiver has the option of responding or not.

So if i spoke to someone on the air and they took my callsign and later i find a qsl card, i could send one back.

any good places to print them out? are they postcard size? if you want one back, doesn't it need to be a smaller size than the envelope?

SCPD

QRT
Oh, sorry-- I made an assumption and was.......... oh well :)
QSL'ing doesn't have any form. You can mention it to the other station during your conversation that you'd like to exchange cards. Or you can simply, at a future date, send one. Hams with any amount of time in the hobby are used to doing both at some point. I routinely receive unsolicited card (which I respond to promptly by send one in return- whether I wanted their's or not.)
It isn't unusual for me to receive a QSL card years later- really---- Why the long delays, who know? Back in the days of the Soviet Union and the Iron Curtain countries, I always seemed to receive their card months and months (years sometimes) later... censorship? maybe?
So send a card if you like, any time after the QSO... preferrably while things are fresh in the other guy/gal's mind..
As far as what to send?... practically all QSL card are Post Card size. Many hams send them as postcards- which go at the mercy of the Post Offices (ie: they look pretty pathetic with all the cancellation ink smeared over the fronts, the edges torn up...and such.) This is why I send mine in a separate envelope- and why if you want one returned looking decent, enclose a self address'd one along with your card.
Card styles??... They are limited only by your imagination. Google "QSL Card" and see some of the possibilities. QSL card are as old as radio... I have some from a great aunt (who wasn't a ham, but she was a commercial "Marconi Girl.") She collected and exchanged cards among the other Marconi stations she communicated with - this, all back in the days of spark gap and alternators. I suggest you pick out a design that mimics your personality, interests- something unique. Hams receive a lot of cards and many go right into the trash. A pretty one, though, will melt the heart of an old crusty ham (aka "me")... don't go cheap on the card.
Look through the printers listed on the internet.. I personally got 1000 (should last longer than I'll be around) done by a local printer who took my design and ran it as a side job very inexpensively... full colour.... check out the possiblities.
Hope that gave some more ideas....:)
........................CF

Last edited:

AC2OY

Hi. Yes I meant both qsl and qso.

So when i speak to someone and get their call sign, I have the option of sending a qsl and I don't have to ask the receiver if they would send one back to me on the radio. The receiver has the option of responding or not.

So if i spoke to someone on the air and they took my callsign and later i find a qsl card, i could send one back.

any good places to print them out? are they postcard size? if you want one back, doesn't it need to be a smaller size than the envelope?

I got a QSL Care with this address in it...
UX5UO print >> Welcome to "UX5UO Print" – world of QSLs! he will do 1000 cards for 58 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.