• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quansheng Quansheng UV-K5(8) IJV MOD 3.21 dead after uploading Chirp file

oh1fss

I have a Quansheng UV-K5(8). I have been using IJV 2.9R5 for many months without major problems.

Last tuesday I upgraded to IJV 3.21. I flashed firmware.N3.21.bin to my radio and then I reset VFO in the service menu. I did not touch the calibration of the radio.

I upgraded my Chirp to latest version (next-20240706) and transferred my channels by cut-and-paste from my 2.9R5 .img file to a new 3.21 file. I uploaded the new .img file to my radio and everything was fine. I changed channels and configuration several times and uploaded it to my radio from Chirp without problems.

Then suddenly after I uploaded data from Chirp to my radio the radio became dead! When I turned the radio on, nothing happened: the LCD was black and the radio was silent. I tried to switch to FM BC (F+FM), change channels, but the radio was dead. S1 + power on did not work either.

The last change to the Chirp file was to create new Groups and assign channels to those groups. I did not assign all channels to groups, is that a problem? And when I create new Groups, Chirp does not show them in the Group pull down menu when updating channels until I restart Chirp.

I tried to read calibration or config from the radio by using K5prog_IJV_V3.exe, but got error "radio not detected" after "sending k5_hello ..". But when I turned the radio off and on, K5prog_IJV_V3.exe displayed:

[00]2.00.06[00]4
[00][00]
UV-K5 Firmware IJV V-3.21

But firmware update mode (PTT+power on) worked! I flashed my previous firmware 2.9R5 to the radio and uploaded my old Chirp .img file to it - and now the radio seems to work fine!

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
This is similar to what happened with my Baofeng UV5. I had to remove/replace the programming cable from the PC before it was recognized again. I then removed/replaced the battery on the radio, then it came on and I could upload the file again.

merlin

The problem is Chirp. It is not comatible with the upgraded firmware.
Best to use Quansheng portable CPS for programming and use k5prog-win for upgrades.
I have the IJV mod in my UV-K5(8) and the radio doesn't exist with chirp.
These radios can't be bricked, so if you have a problem with an upgrade, just roll it back.

merlin

I tried to read calibration or config from the radio by using K5prog_IJV_V3.exe, but got error "radio not detected" after "sending k5_hello ..". But when I turned the radio off and on, K5prog_IJV_V3.exe displayed:
Yea, you have to restart the radio then it should connect.

oh1fss

This is similar to what happened with my Baofeng UV5. I had to remove/replace the programming cable from the PC before it was recognized again. I then removed/replaced the battery on the radio, then it came on and I could upload the file again.

My problem was not a hardware issue.

I believe that my problem was that I created a configuration in Chirp that causes the IJV 3.21 firmware to crash. Maybe my use of channel groups was the problem?

oh1fss

The problem is Chirp. It is not comatible with the upgraded firmware.
Best to use Quansheng portable CPS for programming and use k5prog-win for upgrades.
I have the IJV mod in my UV-K5(8) and the radio doesn't exist with chirp.
These radios can't be bricked, so if you have a problem with an upgrade, just roll it back.

Chirp can be used with IJV mod, but you have to load a specific module for IJV. The module is included in the .zip file which contains the firmware. With IJV 2.9R5 use uvk5_IJV_v2.9R5_jh11i1.py and with IJV 3.21 use uvk5_IJV_v3_48.py. And use a recent version of Chirp-next.

This is explained in the IJV manuals.

New versions of Chirp include support for Egzumer firmware, just select to correct version.

I believe that my problem was caused by creating a configuration in Chirp which caused IJV 3.21 firmware to crash. Maybe there is a bug in handling channel groups?

merlin

My problem was not a hardware issue.

I believe that my problem was that I created a configuration in Chirp that causes the IJV 3.21 firmware to crash. Maybe my use of channel groups was the problem?
Souds like you have a mismatch in your frequency channel step size. It will only accept frequencys for the step the radio is configured for.
I have IJV 2.9r5 and haven't been able to make it crash. Might be a bug in the 3.21 firmware.

merlin

Chirp can be used with IJV mod, but you have to load a specific module for IJV. The module is included in the .zip file which contains the firmware. With IJV 2.9R5 use uvk5_IJV_v2.9R5_jh11i1.py and with IJV 3.21 use uvk5_IJV_v3_48.py. And use a recent version of Chirp-next.

This is explained in the IJV manuals.

New versions of Chirp include support for Egzumer firmware, just select to correct version.

I believe that my problem was caused by creating a configuration in Chirp which caused IJV 3.21 firmware to crash. Maybe there is a bug in handling channel groups?
Yea, that should work, but in spite of that, I have problems with Chirp, where portable CPS has no issues at all.
I simply dump Chirp.
It takes me about 5 minutes to swap firmwares from stock, to IJV, to Egzumer, and zero problems as long as I stay away from Chirp.
It might be for my OS, Win 10 pro.
Chirp works fine on my XP machine and my Baofeng, but it doesn't like Quansheng.

Last edited: