• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quantar voting receiver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiksters

I have setup a uhf repeater with a vhf rx in vote operation all went well no problem could have set up the delay but it went in service stand alone, Now the fun starts this is a vhf r1 repeater with a uhf r2 rx setup to vote any time the programe is set to vote rx 2 repeater stops keyup ad no respond from vote rx i have tried swapping rx1 with rx2 same problem and have tried both rx moduals in repeater setup in band and cross band works fine with vote off , I have have tried every combination for scan on and off same with slave tx, This seems like a controler problem but im just guessing or should i chek the serial number .

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have setup a uhf repeater with a vhf rx in vote operation all went well no problem could have set up the delay but it went in service stand alone, Now the fun starts this is a vhf r1 repeater with a uhf r2 rx setup to vote any time the programe is set to vote rx 2 repeater stops keyup ad no respond from vote rx i have tried swapping rx1 with rx2 same problem and have tried both rx moduals in repeater setup in band and cross band works fine with vote off , I have have tried every combination for scan on and off same with slave tx, This seems like a controler problem but im just guessing or should i chek the serial number .

IF the controller is snafu, the check here;

Integrated Control Systems

n9zas

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You really need to do a better job explaining just what it is you're trying to do. A UHF repeater with VHF receivers??? What controller are you talking about? Voter...? What kind of voter? Why a UHF repeater with VHF receivers? Or is it a VHF repeater with UHF receivers? Are you trying to get the Quantar to scan with multiple frequencies or with two receivers installed? What do you expect to happen by checking the serial number?

Ok... (whew). I have one comment regarding the Quantar. Every attempt I've ever seen to get a Quantar to repeat with either multiple receivers and/or multiple frequencies or modes programmed into the receiver(s) has failed. It repeats just fine on the primary frequency, but merely sends audio down the wireline on the other frequencies after briefly keying up the transmitter. This, in spite of programming that appears to be just fine. I suspect it's just a feature that Motorola wanted to include, but never got it operating correctly.

So, I have no clue if my findings are what you're talking about. Hell, I have NO IDEA what you're talking about. Could you clarify? It sounds like an interesting problem. I think. Maybe.

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I'm stymied also by what you said. Are you trying to connect two repeaters and cross-band? You didn't mention, but if you are setting this up as a voted system you'll need to have a comparator in there somewhere.

wiksters

It is a vhf repeater with a uhf receiver in the spare slot to be used in vote scan setup to receive a single remote receiver , The controler is a factory controler card in the quantar but not the original one thus the talk about serial # as i have had to enter a new one to get the p25 alive,

Hope this clears up the confusion Thanks For any help.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It is a vhf repeater with a uhf receiver in the spare slot to be used in vote scan setup to receive a single remote receiver , The controler is a factory controler card in the quantar but not the original one thus the talk about serial # as i have had to enter a new one to get the p25 alive,

Hope this clears up the confusion Thanks For any help.

Ok, I see what you're trying to do. I don't have any specific advice for you, other than to say I've seen similar efforts that failed, because the radio just won't do what you want it to do, in spite of documentation that says it will. From what I've seen, the radio can be made to repeat, it can be made to scan, but it can't be made to scan AND repeat.

If I were you, I wouldn't waste a whole lot of time and effort on that. You might have more luck trying to solve the problem some other way. or try the batboard. Maybe someone there has figured it out, or maybe there's a specific version of firmware that works.

wiksters

Thanks for the reply
I received some info today and it does sound like firmware i might have to swap controler from our uhf to verify .

RKG

I don't believe you can achieve what you want to achieve using the second receiver in the Quantar cage.

If I correctly understand that you have an existing voted VHF system and you want that system to repeat (over the VHF output frequency) input received over a UHF channel, then (putting aside licensing issues) the way to go is to obtain a UHF receiver capable of sending the voter idle tone and wire that receiver to another SQM (or equivalent) card in your voter.

In any voted system, the Quantar's internal repeater controller is turned off (setting the station type to "Base" vs. "Repeater"), and it is the voter that performs the repeater controller function.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
If I correctly understand that you have an existing voted VHF system and you want that system to repeat (over the VHF output frequency) input received over a UHF channel...

That's a completely different understanding of what he's trying to do than what I picked up.

Picture a VHf repeater with two receivers, one VHF, and the other UHF. Now, scan the two receivers and repeat whatever one is active. Then, consider that the UHF receiver is actually receiving a link from a remoted VHF receiver.

That's what I'm getting out of his description. And as I said previously, I have never seen anyone be able to get either a two receiver Quantar, or a single receiver two-frequency scanning Quantar to repeat from both channels. It'll repeat on one channel. It'll scan and send both receiver's audio down the wireline. But it won't scan both receivers AND repeat. Not without outside help from a voter.

RKG

That's a completely different understanding of what he's trying to do than what I picked up.

Picture a VHf repeater with two receivers, one VHF, and the other UHF. Now, scan the two receivers and repeat whatever one is active. Then, consider that the UHF receiver is actually receiving a link from a remoted VHF receiver.

That's what I'm getting out of his description. And as I said previously, I have never seen anyone be able to get either a two receiver Quantar, or a single receiver two-frequency scanning Quantar to repeat from both channels. It'll repeat on one channel. It'll scan and send both receiver's audio down the wireline. But it won't scan both receivers AND repeat. Not without outside help from a voter.

I think there is far less difference in our understandings. He wants a VHF repeater also to repeat the audio that it receives over a UHF frequency -- whether that UHF audio comes from UHF subscribers or a UHF link (however fed) shouldn't make a difference.

If the OP is using the term "voted" correctly, and if his VHF system is truly a voted system, I believe his fundamental problem is that he is trying to get the Quantar's internal repeater controller to do something without realizing that, in a voted system, that internal controller is de-activated.

I do agree, however, that the "two receiver" apparent option in a Quantar is more ambition than reality.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
If the OP is using the term "voted" correctly, and if his VHF system is truly a voted system, I believe his fundamental problem is that he is trying to get the Quantar's internal repeater controller to do something without realizing that, in a voted system, that internal controller is de-activated.

I don't think he's using the term "voting" in the same way you and I would. Replace the word 'vote' with the word 'scan', and it makes more sense. He's trying to get essentially multisite operation using just the Quantar as all the hardware, aside from the second site and link transmitter.

I do agree, however, that the "two receiver" apparent option in a Quantar is more ambition than reality.

Yep. Not gonna work. If he scanned the two receivers, output to a wireline, and let that wireline feed an external controller somehow, he could do what he wants, but the Quantar just doesn't seem to work in the mode he wants it to.

The thing to do is wireline the Quantar, use a separate link receiver, feed the Quantar and link to a real voter, and re-transmit the voted audio.

RKG

I don't think he's using the term "voting" in the same way you and I would. Replace the word 'vote' with the word 'scan', and it makes more sense. He's trying to get essentially multisite operation using just the Quantar as all the hardware, aside from the second site and link transmitter. . . .

If that is how the OP used "vote," then I agree with you 100%.

wiksters

Thanks all for the input i will try to refer it as the scan receiver so not to be confused with a voting system,I have made it to site and swaped out controler card and it was the firmware giving me the problem,The repeater is vhf with a uhf scan receiver with multiple freqs to link in my remote receivers,The vhf and uhf receivers had to be swaped from rx 1 to rx 2 and rx 2 to rx 1 this was complete reverse from the uhf setup all working fine .

Status
Not open for further replies.