Question about EDACS sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
For the last 8-10 years, I have been using Walker/Illinois site as it was the closest and I got every TG on the list (Besides Kingston PD/FD & Ulster PD who only use Port Ewen)
I moved recently and in this apartment can no longer hit it with a stock antenna.

I am now forced to use Mt Beacon site. Everything comes in fairly clear however I am noticing the lack of a few TGs on Beacon.
Hyde Park PD
New Paltz PD & Campus PD
Lloyd

I am sure there a few I am missing a few others. It confuseds me because Poughkeepsie (Right next door to the above mentioned TGs) , both town & city come in clear as a bell just like everything else on Beacon site now

This is disappointing but my real question is - Is this on my end somehow since I am in a less than ideal setup now, or is it just that Beacon site just doesn't simulcast those TGs I mentioned? Kinda like how Kingston PD/FD & Ulster PD are only on Port Ewen site?

Not sure if this helps but the way I figured this out is that I kept one radio tuned to Walker and one tuned to Beacon and as bad & unreadable as Walker is now in the new apartment it still comes thru nonetheless and I can see the ID. At the same time, nothing comes over on the Beacon radio.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The sites are only going to carry traffic they need to carry based on affiliated subscribers (or system restrictions). No real point for Beacon to carry Ulster County talkgroups if no subscribers are in range of Beacon. Same goes for talkgroups in northern Dutchess County that are primarily carried on other sites. Par for the course with a multi-site trunked system.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
The sites are only going to carry traffic they need to carry based on affiliated subscribers (or system restrictions). No real point for Beacon to carry Ulster County talkgroups if no subscribers are in range of Beacon. Same goes for talkgroups in northern Dutchess County that are primarily carried on other sites. Par for the course with a multi-site trunked system.
RIght, I figured as much it's logical, however it just confuses me as to why I was able to grab Beacon PD & Fishkill PD off the Illinois / Walker site when they are as far south dutchess as you can get before Putnam

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Any number of reasons why any particular talkgroup might be carried at a given site. The most obvious answer is that there was a subscriber affiliated, dragging the talkgroup out of its normal area. You'd be surprised how many bosses take radios home with them and park them on their agency's talkgroup. Could be that NYCOMCO for some reason forced certain talkgroups to be carried at multiple sites full time, regardless of affiliation.

Really, there are too many variables to say for certain. Sometimes there is seemingly no rhyme or reason..."it is what it is"

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Occasionally I will hear Hyde Park PD off of the Beacon site, so all is not lost. But as GTR8000 stated it all depends on if a subscriber radio is going to be affiliated to that site.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
Occasionally I will hear Hyde Park PD off of the Beacon site, so all is not lost. But as GTR8000 stated it all depends on if a subscriber radio is going to be affiliated to that site.
Nice! That is reassuring to hear! If you had to guess, what would you say makes them go on and off the tower occasionally instead of being on full time like Poughkeepsie for exmple?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Nice! That is reassuring to hear! If you had to guess, what would you say makes them go on and off the tower occasionally instead of being on full time like Poughkeepsie for exmple?

So many possibilites, maybe a mobile unit may happen to affiliate to beacon by chance, could be one of the tow truck companies parked on their talkgroup and affiliated to Beacon. It's hard to say unless someone can see what's going on using unitrunker.

Only the Town and City of Poughkeepsie primary talkgroups are full time on Beacon, all others are by affiliation.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
So many possibilites, maybe a mobile unit may happen to affiliate to beacon by chance, could be one of the tow truck companies parked on their talkgroup and affiliated to Beacon. It's hard to say unless someone can see what's going on using unitrunker.

Only the Town and City of Poughkeepsie primary talkgroups are full time on Beacon, all others are by affiliation.
Gotcha. Thanks guys, good info. Good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.