question about fleetnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirsmiley

The Basis of fleetnet is that units can keep moving between zones and keep in contact, can i just put the frequency for my home town (there is a tower) and be able to pick up all radio traffic on the fleetnet system (opp, moh ,etc) with just putting in the appropriate talkgroups? Or do I have to be in a fairly nearby area of the units..

example if youre in barrie can you hear toronto and windsor police (opp) by just punching in their talkgroups... i understand the fleetnet system relays everything...although i cant see why someone way up north would need to talk to someone way down south...

VE3RADIO

The short answer is NO... the long answer is sometimes.. it depends on what is being patched... for example.. MOWAT always seems to have the Hamilton MOH patched.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Fleetnet doesn't quite relay 'everything'. Using your example of Windsor/Essex OPP I doubt their talkgroup would be allowed onto a tower up around Toronto. If indeed it was, then you wouldn't hear anything unless a radio in your area happened to be affiliated with their talkgroup. It wouldn't be there by default. Normally when cars travel from area to area they wiwll switch to that area's talkgroup (Essex -> ChathamKent -> Elgin -> Middlesex etc etc) as they enter and leave each area. If they happen to wander far enough away (for example an Essex OPP radio may not have any talkgroups past Oxford County or so) they would use one of the wide area talkgroups (1London, 1GTR etc etc) or worse case switch to Sim11.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
i understand the fleetnet system relays everything...although i cant see why someone way up north would need to talk to someone way down south...

Fleetnet does not relay everything.

First of all, traffic is not relayed between Zones so an officer up north on Zone 4 would never hear a Zone 1 talkgroup.

Secondly, local talkgroups are only allowed on the local towers within their coverage area. With patching, sometimes a talkgroup will carry a little farther then it normally would. For example, you can hear Midland OPP on the King City tower since Barrie units cover down to Hwy 9 on Hwy 400 and Barrie is patched with Midland.

Bell Mobility determines what talkgroups are carried on what towers and the restrictions are built into the system.

Fleetnet does have some Wide Area talkgroups which are carried within a Zone and these are not restricted. Examples would be the OPP Wide Area and Tactical groups and the MOH's Common talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.