Question about "private" comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG0MX

This regards an AAco TGID I heard this morning......

While listening to the trunk, my scanner rolled onto a digital channel with a TGID of 725508. At one point, one of the two guys yapping on that connection asked the other if he just wanted him to hang out there on "private" while he waited for something. Of course, I never them again.

The only other digital comms I've heard on this trunk is the encrypted one used apparently by Narcotics detectives or whoever they are.

Was this basically one of those "ICALL" connections? Is that 725508 ID like a serial number of the two-way link that happened, and is it random in nature? Random in the sense that if these two dudes talked again, they'd have a different ID?

I just plain don't understand this stuff outside the scope of the basic TG mappings like what's posted in the database about the AA trunk.

Thanks for your clarifications.

seamusg

KG0MX said:
This regards an AAco TGID I heard this morning......

While listening to the trunk, my scanner rolled onto a digital channel with a TGID of 725508. At one point, one of the two guys yapping on that connection asked the other if he just wanted him to hang out there on "private" while he waited for something. Of course, I never them again.

The only other digital comms I've heard on this trunk is the encrypted one used apparently by Narcotics detectives or whoever they are.

Was this basically one of those "ICALL" connections? Is that 725508 ID like a serial number of the two-way link that happened, and is it random in nature? Random in the sense that if these two dudes talked again, they'd have a different ID?

I just plain don't understand this stuff outside the scope of the basic TG mappings like what's posted in the database about the AA trunk.

Thanks for your clarifications.
The number you saw is the radio ID used in a private call. If you had the scanner set up for I-call you should have seen the ID change when the other radio was transmitting. The ID should change to what ever radio is talking at the time.

troymail

Silent Key
The Id is most likely a radio that was issued to a Sheriff unit.

The ID should change when a different unit talks but you may also see 2 ids on the display ... something like this:

725502-722508

This would be two guys I-Calling each other.

TinEar

And, depending on which scanner you're using, you can enter talkgroup 700000 into your list and the Uniden radios will receive all I-Calls on that system.

troymail

Silent Key
I forgot to mention that for the most part, in Anne Arundel County, I-Calls are currently only really used by Sheriff units (with some exceptions).

In the early days, I-Call was used more often but I think people found that I-Call wasn't as secure as they thought (other system users couldn't hear the I-Call but anyone with a scanner could). These days, most of these conversations have moved to cell phones and Nextel direct connect.

Fort Meade units (I assume it's their police) talk on I-Call on their 380 system quite often but it's almost never important -- mostly just things they didn't want to say on the normal channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.