Question About Programing Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusco25

I just ordered a BCD396XT and after I done so I noticed the cable it comes with is a serial cable I been looking on these forums and people say get a serial to USB cable but the cable that comes with the scanner and the serial to usb cable both seem to have male ends to them so how does that work? Am I missing something?

Thanks..

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You have a couple of options:

One is to get a USB to Serial Port Adapter. I got one from Amazon and it works pretty well. Amazon.com: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset): Computers & Accessories

As your correctly observed the ends don't mate, so a gender adapter is needed. You probably will also want a null modem adapter in the cable too. (This is the set-up I use to program my 396XT scanner). Radio Shack has these.

Two is to get the Uniden USB-1 cable. Uniden has them on their site and their product manager says they have the HXD chipset, which is critical if you are using Windows 8.x.

USB Cable for all Uniden DMA Scanners

Option two is probably a better choice. The USB-1 plugs into a USB port on your computer and right into the side of your scanner with no special adapters needed. The cost is comparable between the two options.

You'll have to do some driver installation whichever way you select. Just be sure to follow the directions that come with the cable or USB to Serial Adapter and download/install the drivers BEFORE connecting the cable or adapter.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I just ordered a BCD396XT and after I done so I noticed the cable it comes with is a serial cable I been looking on these forums and people say get a serial to USB cable but the cable that comes with the scanner and the serial to usb cable both seem to have male ends to them so how does that work? Am I missing something?

Thanks..

THE USB 1 cable is your best bet. Although it can be costly.

teufler

Probably the best is the usb cable that is out now. I have a serial to usb convertor made by Tripp Lite. U209-000-R. With thaT YOU HAVE THE SAME RESULT AS THE USB CABLE. Or you can dig around and find an older computer that still has a serial port. Seems, other than the new 436, 536 models from Uniden, the radios are still old fashion. Its a slight delay in enjouying but its a small hurdle to accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.