question for u guys with base stations in and around sac

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskeytango

gettin my home antenna tomorrow, so im wondering if u guys have all the doj, milair, and other fed channels programmed...do u get much traffic? ultimately ill get em all programmed but im just curious as to how much u hear

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I have DOJ, Federal Courthouse, US Marshals and FPS programed and get a bit of traffic on all of them. The courthouse dispatcher is in the clear but the field units are encrypted and all US Marshal traffic is encrypted the rest is clear.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Lots of traffic. Quality varies because these are not repeated frequencies. There are lots of channels, some not used in this area, some used for other purposes.

Don't typically monitor from home. I have received traffic from Beale here though.

other fed channels programmed
Marshals: very little traffic. Sometimes clear, sometimes not.

FBI: lots of taffic not in the clear, some traffic in the clear.

You'd have to ask about other specific agencies.

whiskeytango

well i basically went to the california db page, and under the state map there's those pull down menus, are there other resources for like the fbi?

thanks for ur replies ps

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
It's best to search for them for northern california. So you can build a list of freqs you can hear from your monitoring location.
You could use software to record hits, and let it scan each day/night. Then review what you have hits on.

Like how one person did the Federal wiki in Texas. (Has some FBI freqs listed)
You can start to see if those freqs are used in your area.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Federal_(TX)

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
whiskey i dont listen to the feds much because of their encryption

my main scanning is chp

cause thats who answers 911 for major roadways and outside of most cities they usually voice stuff before anywhere else

so is my #2 listen but most of their stuff is all mdt the major stuff gets voiced tho

cousinkix1953

The FBI is using 167.6125 mhz as the primary channel in San Francisco. They use 167.7125 mhz over in the Sacramento area. The DEA's repeater outputs and simplex channels are on the 418 mhz UHF band.

Most traffic is P25 and often encrypted; so I rarely listen to the feds any more.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
in sac i hear fbi mainly on 170.9 131.8 pl
There are a couple that are part of that "Net" that often have in the clear traffic. One is at Carpenter Hill (White Rock area where all the TV sites are), Pine Hill (170.7250) and the others I forget.

GrowlTiger

OK Guys, forgive me. I'm a real newbie here.

I'm interested in following air traffic from around the Sac State area. I'm interested in possibly going into air traffic control.

I'm about 20 mi. from SMF and a few miles from Mather.

What type of Uniden scanner should I get to monitor air-to-ground communications? Is the 996XT overkill? Would the 396XT do the job for SMF? Or could I buy a 5 year old scanner on eBay to do the job?

Thanks,

-=GT=-

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
996 would always be my recommendation (of course hooked up to some kind of outside antenna)
its the most universal radio and compact and lets you go pretty mush everywhere that isnt encrypted or open sky or some other unsupported protocol

you can try getting a used one on ebay or getting a uniden refurb or just a new one on ebay

a user on here pointed me to live atc.net a great website for listening

Listen to Live ATC (Air Traffic Control) Communications | LiveATC.net

i have the apple liveatc app and it was kind of disappointing that sac intrntl KSMF wasnt on there

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
If all you want is air traffic you can use basically any scanner made in the past 10 years or so. To monitor other stuff around Sacramento you will need something with trunk tracking capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.