• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 Questions about programming XTS5000 for use as VHF ham radio

jmathias1234

I think I've figured out inhibiting tx and disabling affiliation, but my main goal of learning CPS so far has been figuring out how to clear out any trunking systems if they're still programmed in. As far as I can tell everything in my area is P25 phase 2 encrypted. I don't want to mess with anything in the 7/800 band anyway so I think this was a bad idea to buy in the first place. I may just part them out or sell them cheaply (assuming they even power up and are able to be programmed). But after watching hours of tutorials on CPS trunking I'm feeling a little more confident programming analog channels on my VHF radio, so I guess that's a plus. Just curious, I'm assuming it's a good idea to remove any property of XXXX police department stickers on the back? An attorney I know told me this isn't illigal to have, but using the radio to transmit in any capacity on the 7/800 bands is. Also, I'm curious if those "I've been flashed" stickers indicate anything about who programmed the radio? Have these traditionally only been given to people who've abtained flashcodes directly from Motorola? I've thought about getting some new housings, but may just sell them for parts and avoid the hassle though.

Xts5000vnc

I'm new programming radios as a hobby and just got a XTS5000 to start on. How ever the radio has been flashed and I have to reload the software onto it and I can't seem to find where I can download Astro 25 which seems to be the program I need? How do I know exactly what I need and how do I get it?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
To remove a trunking system's data from the radio, you have to have the system key for that system. But you can delete some of the data and "disconnect" the trunked data from the zone/channel list and hide it and ignore it. Easy way to do that is to put it in channel 17 in any zone. Your rotary knob won't go to 17.

"I've been flashed" means that the radio got a feature upgrade after it left the factory. It has no relevance to how you program the radio.

Don't concern yourself with flashing. It's only for feature upgrades, and besides, if you want features upgraded, there are people who sell that service on ebay cheaply enough these days. Just don't ask how they do it. Pay them their fee, send them your radio, get it back with the new requested features, and be happy.

You get the software from Motorola. Set up your own user account with Motorola Solutions. You may to ask the customer service agents for a little help but the Astro 25 CPS is now free.

Yes, pull off the old property tags off of the radio that say what department used to own it.

Don't bother to try to part out the radios. There's no cost benefit to doing that. The radio in its intact and working state is worth more than a pile of disassembled parts that may or may not still be working. This isn't an old Ford Mustang that might bring more in parts than as a wreck.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Thanks for your help. I just bought a Toughbook with serial ports so I don't have to worry about USB conversion. It seems like some people have success with USB, but I'll have my hands full figuring out the software without worrying whether the hardware (and drivers) are working.

Good call. Used Toughbooks are a fine choice, especially if the 'puter will be used outdoors. I picked up a CF-30 ($100) followed by a CF-53 ($150) on eBay specifically because they have a DB9 serial port; they're my primary radio programming computers.

While I do have an actual factory USB programming cable with the test box breakout as well as the same cable in DB9 serial at home, I usually use the DB9 serial model for firmware updates because I had a couple of bad experiences with the Windows USB controller causing failed firmware updates (which I was fortunately able to recover from). The USB cable is used for programming and alignment, although I'll sometimes switch between them just for giggles.

And thanks to Motherola discontinuing nearly all support for the XTS/XTL line, the serial programming cables for them are unobtainium. I needed them to put authentication keys in radios at work with a KVL5000, so I bought serial programming cables for both the XTS and XTL radios on ebay (I think from BlueMax49ers.com), and they work just fine.

Beyond that, you'll love the XTS5000 VHF for ham radio use. I've got one that's all tricked out with FPP and loads of features (most of which I'll never use) and it's an excellent radio.

Last edited: