Radio beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if there is a technical name, but depending on the radio it's the end transmission beep so the other person knows they've let go of the mic

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Could be called a courtesy tone, I know it's used in ham radio quite a bit. What frequency are you hearing this on and do you know who uses it?

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
So that means that the dispatcher knows which unit is calling on the computer?

Grondoline

With some systems using tone remote there is a short "squeak" at the beginning and/or end of each transmission. Not heard so much anymore.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
If they have DOS turned on, then using MDC would only emit a slight "beep" or "blip" from a real radio. Scanners would hear the whole MDC data string.

TomJH

Frs?

I was wondering if anyone has the schematic for the MDC-1200. My son and I love the tone that is produced and want to know if we could build one just for the tone at the end of our transmissions. Is this possible?

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if anyone has the schematic for the MDC-1200. My son and I love the tone that is produced and want to know if we could build one just for the tone at the end of our transmissions. Is this possible?

Lol it would probably be easier to just go to ebay and pick up some UHF HT1000's and program them with mdc and the gmrs/frs channels.

RKG

MDC1200 is a proprietary scheme, not a device per se.

If you are interested in an MDC decoder, check out the C Plus III from Crimmaron Technology.

eroomhj

Beep after transmit

The beep you here after the transmit is there two thing LOW BATTERY or Data burst at release of the PTT.

W2NJS

With reference to the remark above about "hams use it" that is simply not true. Anyone in hamdom who puts a pre or post ID burst on his transmissions is sure to lose most if not all of his friends in a short time. The function is unnecessary and bothersome to most people. The "other" kind of signal heard may be the "invitation to transmit" heard on trunked systems and also on the Mototrbo radios when operating in digital mode. The only person who hears that one is the guy at the microphone doing the transmitting.
In general, if you don't have a good reason for a pre or post ID transmission don't do it.

jeremyphoto23

I know that where I work, all of the patrol officers that are on SWAT and all the CP radios have the chirp at the end, signaling that their transmission is complete. This helps when working on a "direct" freq and there is no repeater to signal someone's transmission is finished..

Irishfireguy3622

Premium Subscriber
With reference to the remark above about "hams use it" that is simply not true. Anyone in hamdom who puts a pre or post ID burst on his transmissions is sure to lose most if not all of his friends in a short time. The function is unnecessary and bothersome to most people. The "other" kind of signal heard may be the "invitation to transmit" heard on trunked systems and also on the Mototrbo radios when operating in digital mode. The only person who hears that one is the guy at the microphone doing the transmitting.
In general, if you don't have a good reason for a pre or post ID transmission don't do it.

If my "friends" were as shady as you, I'd be fine with that. It simply IS true that it is used and required for some systems. I belong to a system in Chicago (FishFAR) that requires a valid MDC ID for access to keep clowns like you off it.

Another sound you may here is the microwave link "key-up" but thats usually heard on initiation of the dispatchers transmission. I've heard this same sound locally if there is a link between a trunked system and a VHF/UHF frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.