Radio needs to be reset more often now? But was flawless for a long time.

Rq17954z

Have a Tecsun 880 that I get a lot of use out of have been very happy with it. Lately after about 2 years of use it's seems to be freezing up. When you press a button or turn the dial and nothing happens until you do a reset or what I do now it take the battery out and reinstall it. The reason I do that is the same thing began happening with another multiband radio I had a Radiwow R 108 that I had basically the exact same thing happen the reset eventually stop working on that radio both Worked great then they seem to need to be reset constantly. Any ideas? Only thing I think it might be is bad components . The firmware should have nothing to do with it as they both worked fine for awhile. Not interested in getting a replacement do I need to find something of better quality?

Boombox

Your battery might be getting weak. I.e., when it gets low in charge, it cuts out now and then, which could wig the radio.

I have a Grundig G2 that runs off a rechargeable BL-5C battery. The battery is getting up in years, and when it gets low in charge (one bar or so) sometimes it will cause my G2 to lock up, act bizarre, not tune correctly, lose its temporary memories, etc.

Then when I recharge the battery, and reset the radio, all is fine for the next couple months until the battery meter hits one bar or less again.

I have since gotten several new batteries and a charger, that way I can still use the old battery until it's completely kaput, but have better ones to use in the radio to keep the radio from wigging. When using the older battery I just swap before it's hits one bar on the battery meter.

I'm no engineer but I think some of these radios just don't like seeing low power levels from older rechargeable batteries.

Try a new battery, see if that helps.

Rq17954z

I have a extra battery, will give that a try ! The charge indicator on that radio is usually high then goes to one bar all at once then its going to stop working quickly after that so I usually keep it topped up.

Boombox

Yeah, maybe it's dropping charge fast. I don't know enough about the technicalities of lithium rechargeables but I know my 2012-era BL-5C battery apparently starts doing weird things with the charge when the G2's battery meter shows one bar or less (the radio will operate on zero bars for a while before it cuts off). I think that in the case of my battery when it was low in charge it would cut out, then back up to one bar, then cut all the way out -- maybe in microseconds, wigging the radio in the process. That's just a guess though.

Get a few more batteries and a charger, especially if your extra battery seems to fix the glitch. Batteries have a lifetime, just another thing to work around.....

Rq17954z

Think your right about it dropping it's charged fast. But I think It might be a tuning noob that might be draining faster. Was watching the display light coming on when it was off and seen it move off the frequency it was on . I been taking the battery out now. Might need some contact cleaner.