• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
In our county fire is on VHF, pretty much all else is on UHF.

I need a quality commercial mobile with at least 50-60 watts to be installed in our fire apparatus and vehicles for interoperable communications on a single frequency. Our VHF mobiles are Motorola CDM1250's. I'm looking for something more inexpensive yet still quality enough to use for this purpose, doesn't have to be Motorola. Any suggestions?

vinzep491

Ebay is your friend. As far as recomending a specific model, there are MANY to choose from. All boils down to what features you'd like to have.

I'd start with Google and Ebay to get some ideas and go from there. There is no one answer.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

What frequency are you needing, for the interoperable comms? Are you wanting to add a UHF, so you can talk with the other users?

You need to get a license to operate on the frequency you want, or permission to operate under the other agency's license.

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
Sorry I took a while to reply.

I need a UHF radio to talk on our City Channel to our public works, road dept, and police. Like i said, quality yet inexpensive, and has to put out some power, and rugged enough to handle being installed in a fire engine.

Licensing is not an issue, city is already licensed for the frequency.

Don't really want a used radio due to quality issues, I can buy new, just looking for recommendations, if there were any that fit the bill.

Thanks in advance.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I would suggest a Kenwood mobile. They make some good models, that are loud enough to be heard in the cab.

If you want one at the pump panel, I would suggest buying two single radios, instead of a dual-head. (There is a significant cost difference.)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Motorola CDM 750 would be a good basic choice. Same accessories/training as your 1250's. Same programming software and cable.

Kenwood would be a great choice. Excellent radios, usually cheaper than a new Moto.

Icom, probably OK, the newer stuff is better. Cheaper than both Kenwood and Motorola, programming software and cable is cheap.

In a fire apparatus, you really want to use a good external speaker. That will help a lot.

If you only need the single UHF channel, you can save a few bucks, but not much, by going with the 4 or 8 channel radios. Often a higher channel count radio isn't much more. A reputable radio shop should be able to make some suggestions. Other option would be to get whatever the local agencies on UHF are using. Again, software, cable, programming files are all ready there. No need to reinvent the wheel. Often when it comes to this stuff, the labor to put it all together will exceed the cost of the equipment. If you can save money on the programming part, it likely can make the difference.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

I would suggest not going with the 4 channel model(s). Since this a public safety agency, be sure to program in the UCall and UTac freqs, with the talk-arounds for the Tacs.

My agency purchased new VHF mobiles, a few months ago, and I had all the interoperable freqs into them, even the ones that are not able to be used in our area. Since we rarely use VHF here, having moved most comms over to the statewide system, the freqs are just available, and not wasting any resources.

SCPD

QRT
CM200 and Cm300

In our county fire is on VHF, pretty much all else is on UHF.

I need a quality commercial mobile with at least 50-60 watts to be installed in our fire apparatus and vehicles for interoperable communications on a single frequency. Our VHF mobiles are Motorola CDM1250's. I'm looking for something more inexpensive yet still quality enough to use for this purpose, doesn't have to be Motorola. Any suggestions?

Take a look at Moto's CM200 and CM300, depending on how many channels you need. They are about 40% less than a CDM radio. I know a fire department using VHF mobiles, and they are happy. They also come UHF.

alphacommnj

Take a look at the Icom F6021

If you are looking for something affordable definitely check out the newer Icom radios. They can be had for relatively cheap but are very durable, and will come standard with a 3-yr warranty. The CM300 is a great radio, just a tad overpriced in my opinion. For about $50-100 less, you can get the Icom F6021 mobile radio with 96 more channels and MDC1200 functionality.

I agree, go with something more than 4-8 channels. You will get an LCD screen and you willfind more interoperability channels to fill up the radio, I promise.

IC-F5021 Series VHF and UHF Transceivers - Features - Icom America

krokus

Premium Subscriber

I agree with checking other brands. I will not mention my preference, but just ask to check out the available models. (You can find product reviews on here, and possibly eHam, as well as other sites.)

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
Thanks to all for the replies and info.

I bit the bullet and went for the Icom 6021's. I have them scheduled for install here soon. I'll let you guys know how they work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.