Radio Shack Digital Trunk Tracker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning, will a Radio Shack Digital Trunk Tracker Scanner receive a DMR Motorola connect plus digital system? and if so what mode do I need to put the talk group in?. This is the system our local ambulance service is on right now. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks
John
N8ZHF

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Good Morning, will a Radio Shack Digital Trunk Tracker Scanner receive a DMR Motorola connect plus digital system? and if so what mode do I need to put the talk group in?. This is the system our local ambulance service is on right now. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks
John
N8ZHF

What is the model number of the scanner you have? There are many RS Trunktracker scanners

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The only one that *could* have it - the patch is very unofficial - is the PRO-668. See this thread

Keep in mind that if you brick it, it's on you. This workaround is very experimental and not supported by RS

Currently only Whistler and Uniden scanners have this capability, short of doing a tap on your scanner (or buying a used one - need not be digital capable) and using utilities like DSD or DSD+

Mike

Last edited:
I will be honest with you guys I don't know what model it is. I can't find a model number on the front it just digital trunk tracking scanner. It is the model that receives 700 MGZ and it has the soft keys below the display F1, F2, and F3. If that helps anyone. If the Radio Shack can't do this system can my Uniden Home Patrol 1 do it.
Thanks
John

troymail

Silent Key
Officially the answer is NO - there are no Radio shack scanners that do DMR.

Unofficially, as Mike said in post #3 above - the PRO-668 *could* possibly but I'm suspecting it's not something you'll want to consider....

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I will be honest with you guys I don't know what model it is. I can't find a model number on the front it just digital trunk tracking scanner. It is the model that receives 700 MGZ and it has the soft keys below the display F1, F2, and F3. If that helps anyone. If the Radio Shack can't do this system can my Uniden Home Patrol 1 do it.
Thanks
John
Does it look something like the one pictured here?
File:pro-651.jpg - The RadioReference Wiki

That's a handheld (portable) scanner. Could be either the Pro-651 or the older Pro-106.

If it is a base-mobile scanner, does it look like this?
File:pro-652.jpg - The RadioReference Wiki

That's the Pro-652. The older Pro-197 would look similar.

If the scanner you are referring to matches one of these pictures, then no, it will not do DMR and no update exists that would enable that. If the scanner you have does not look like either picture, look on the back for a sticker that shows the serial #. The Radio Shack model number (or the sales part #) would be on that. If it's the Pro-668, as ka3jjz and Troymail have suggested, then their answers are correct.

As to your other question, the HP-1 cannot be updated to receive DMR. It does not have the internal capability (components) to enable that. At this time, there is no update for the newer HP-2 to receive DMR. Uniden has made no announcement whether that may be available at some future date.

Current scanners capable of being updated to DMR (excepting the experimental work around mentioned by Mike) are:

Whistler WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, WS1098, TRX-1, and TRX-2 have a free DMR upgrade available. The TRX-1 & TRX-2 also have an available free upgrade to receive NXDN systems.

Uniden scanners BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD325P2, and BCD996P2 have available (paid) upgrades to enable DMR reception.

br0adband

Take a picture of the front and the back of the scanner and post it. Identifying the specific model really isn't that difficult. As has been noted, the only Radio Shack branded scanner that can support DMR is the Pro-668 with the unofficially patched firmware installed but that's another thread entirely (literally meaning there's another thread about that specifically).

Status
Not open for further replies.