Radio Shack For Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddoorman

To: Ref-Jazzy

You ask if people were smarter in the 50s/60s. I do not believe such is/was the case. However, we were more willing to look at a problem, research it, and then attempt to tackle it. When we failed we then went back and gave it another try. Now every one wants instant answers to their questions. How many times in these forums have you read were someone wants an answer to their question but they have not researched such - they want the answer from others and do not want to do the work themselves.

With Radio Shack of long ago, we could go in and purchase entry level electronic kits and assemble such. Many different skills were leaned and many happy hours were spent doing such.

Aweitzel

My brother works for "The shack."
I dont think they do this anymore, but he HAD to sell a cell phone plan a week or he was sent to "cell phone selling school." Yes one a week, thats 4 classes a month if he didnt cell any.
It is POUNDED in his head to sell, sell,sell, sell cell phone plans, be it a contract or just prepaid.
He said more then half there customers only come in to pay there bills and never buy anything.
I came into to bug him about scanners today, mind you they only carry the cheap model, the better ones must be bought online. And i asked, "do you program it here."
He said "Honestly, we do yes, but i dont know how to do it, ive been here what 2 years and never had anyone ask." Mind you my brother well not a manager is there best most knowledgeable person there. He is there go to guy for any question on a product.
There cell phone area is biggest plot on the store, next to there laptops.
Ill ask him when his off tonight if he heard anything about them selling out.

SOFA_KING

Little story...

So I get a PRO-106 off evilBay and really dig this scanner GRE made. Looks sharp too! But I need rechargeable batts and a charger. I do a little research on battery ma output and go to Radio Shack to see if I can get what I want. The store people are no help...as usual. The batteries they carry are 2000 mah and overpriced. No 2700 ma batteries. I pass on the batteries. Then the charger is way overpriced, but I get one anyway. No "C Tip" plug in the store! I have to go miles away to get a tip! Then I plug it in and notice my reception is being interfered with, and my squelch has to be set high to scan. Why? Because some corporate weenie found a cheaper "made in China" switching power supply to sell me instead of a regular (RF quiet) transformer type. The switching type generates huge amounts of RF NOISE! I return it! Garbage! I found a 9 VDC 1 ah transformer in my box of "old stuff" buried in my garage...but I need a "C Tip" plug. Argh!

This is a "real world" Radio Shack experience today. I'm afraid the corporate parasites have eaten away so much of that company that nothing good will ever come out of it going forward. It has fallen so much over the years. If they can't make a "quick kill" profit on an overpriced POS phone or other general "high volume" POS consumer product, they don't want to sell it or support it. Just another example of what Harvard MBA's and CPA's do to a company. How I miss my old Lafayette store! Radio Shack put them out of business and shortly after started "downgrading" it's product line. It has been on a downhill slide ever since. Overpriced JUNK! Now it's all overpriced "made in China" junk!! Die, you parasites...DIE!

Best Buy is another company doing the same. Started out as at least a "Good Buy" with cool stuff, and now just an overpriced outlet for junk like "Monster Cable" crap. (Have you ever taken that garbage apart and noticed how bad the quality is? I have!) These companies are not interested in selling you what you want. They have the nerve to sell you what they want with clever marketing hype...because they can make more money off of you fools...for a while. Eventually the consumer catches on and goes elsewhere (the Internet) because they can't get what they want, get tired of the high prices, and see no value in these stores anymore...and stop going. Die all of you corporate weenies...DIE! You have sucked the life and imagination out of our country so you could cash in on a "quick kill". DIE!!! :mad:

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
The sad fact remains that they dont CARE about radio enthusiasts. They move to the fast quick buck. Anyone can sell a cell phone plan with some b.s. talk about range and features but it takes some intelligence to explain the workings of different radios. The move was made so they can hire drones for cheap salaries and move out their inventory of chargers and cheap phones.Another example of how we are nationalizing everything.sad,sad,sad!!!!!!!

redhelmet13

As it was put to me by my manager when I worked for R$ as a Tech Support person (Not in a store).. We are here to enhance shareholder value. No one working here is important. Everyone can be replaced. (Did wonders for dept. Morale). Fact is publicly traded companies are there to make the buck anyway possible. The poor little worker drone is just that. Once they have gotten what that can from the drone - they are kicked to the curb. Especially those with seniority (Benefits cost the company too much so they find a reason to part ways). Sad Fact but a reality folks... Better off working for yourself or small private co.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.