Radio Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnebi

Do you know about Grand Forks... I live in Mass, and my kid is going to school at UND, and want to monitor police/fire/security at the school... ect

jason_58201

i just keep mine out of sight and don't get pulled over and i got no problems. thats what i've been doing for years seeing how i live just across the river in minnesota were it is illeagle. as far as i know though no its not illeagle in nd. keep in mind that city of grand forks is mostly digital now, including u.n.d. pd.

N0TKG

I know people in Williston who have lost their scanners after being caught with them in cars.

Get a ham radio license. Even states with strict anti-scanner laws permit ham radio operators to possess mobile radios and scanners capable of monitoring police freqs.

KC0QNB

I know people in Williston who have lost their scanners after being caught with them in cars.

Get a ham radio license. Even states with strict anti-scanner laws permit ham radio operators to possess mobile radios and scanners capable of monitoring police freqs.

This is the case in Nebraska as well, of course state wide use of scanners is still ok even with non hams.
It is far cheaper to make a new law on a local basis than to buy all new encryption capable gear.
But you never know what the future might hold, go ahead and get your license anyway.

oktex88

I go to UND and monitor all the time. As far as I know it is not illegal in the state of North Dakota to monitor. The laws could vary by community. However, in Grand Forks I had my hand-held scanner on and visible in front of the police and secret service during the Obama/Clinton speech in Grand Forks. If they let me listen to it there they will let me listen to it anywhere. It is illegal to use a scanner in MN right across the river however BUT if you have a Radio License from the FCC, which is not too hard to obtain it is legal.

It was also ruled that it is LEGAL for licensed amateur radio operators who have a copy of their FCC license in their possession to operate a radio/scanner capable of receiving police and other emergency service frequencies in their vehicle ANYWHERE in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.