• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radioddity Radioddity GD-77

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

People who get a radio sent from China need to realize should the radio need to be returned to China, the return shipping costs more than the radio. China subsidizes the shipping costs from China to North America, but it doesn’t work that way going back.

kayleesdad

$65.24 for a gd-77 on amazon for a short time. Sold by radioditty and fulfilled by amazon. Might be worth the trouble, but probably not.

19sargeusmc56

I find that I'm having issues receiving DMR traffic. Tx is fine.

CPS ver 2.0.5/fw 3.0.06.

I understand new versions are available, but I can't make any sense of how to install this software or upgrade the radio. Can anyone shed some light on the how to?

Semper Fi

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Since it is not a commercial radio, anything above 450 and above are not legal in the US anyway so it is a mute point. I have read from more than one source that the GD-77 (and other low end DMR radios) are actually made by TYT. Looking at some of the CPS for various radios tends to confirm this.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The GD-77 is an go it alone by Radioddity. Its their upgrade of the old GD-55 flop. They just upgraded the format a little more so it actually does DMR Tier I and II and actual dual time slots properly. Its one of the few they went in on and then took over completely. Their other joint venture is with Baofeng on the RD-5R, which they did not go alone on. From the reviews on youtube by a few amateur radio guys, its actually a pretty good radio, and audio wise, is outstanding. If I was not dead set on saving up for an Motorola XPR, I'd pull the trigger on one.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The GD-77 is an go it alone by Radioddity. Its their upgrade of the old GD-55 flop. They just upgraded the format a little more so it actually does DMR Tier I and II and actual dual time slots properly.

Not quite. It's actually manufactured by TYT (it's the MD-760) and rebranded by Radioddity, along with their own custom-built firmware. Radioddity does not actually make radios, and for that matter, they don't actually code the firmware either. That is outsourced as well.

It is definitely a very good radio for what it is. The receive is as hot as any of my 7550e's, which arguably have the hottest receive out of any radio on the market. The front end is lacking, of course, and the internal memory is lacking compared to some of the other DMR amateur radios on the market, but it's a great little radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.