RadioReference.com Global Corporate HQ - April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Everyone has been asking for an update, so here goes - including Antenna pics!

This is the global corporate headquarters of RadioReference.com LLC :)

Over the past 4 years, I have been fortunate to have a job that allows me to listen to radios throughout the day, test computers and equipment, and manage a really awesome online community. But trust me, RadioReference.com really is a lot of hard work - and this is where I get all that crazy work done.

The below image is my main desk, which comprises of a Mac Pro with 2 x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Xeon processors, 10 GB RAM, 2 80GB Intel SSD drives in RAID-0 configuration, 4 TB of storage for photos, videos, etc, and 300GB of storage on an 15K RPM drive for VMware images (Win XP and CENTOS 6). It has served me well for quite a few years.

1.jpg

The Mac Pro has two monitors, Apple's 30 inch Cinema display which is primarily used for all development work on RadioReference.com and a Samsung 24 inch monitor mounted vertically sitting on the right for all email, calendar, task management etc.

Development on RadioReference is done using CENTOS 6 VMware image that runs on the Mac Pro which is able to completely replicate our production environment on one image - web, database, nfs, proxy, audio, archiving etc. I can copy that image to my laptop for mobile development work when needed.

2.jpg

Everything is interconnected via Gigabit Ethernet. The entire house is also served by a Mac Mini with (2) 2TB of RAID 1 storage for movies and media, a 2TB drive for Time Machine backups for the house, and another 2TB drive for scripted backups of other media.

21.jpg

22.jpg

This 2nd computer is the "radio" computer and is used for all computer controlled radios and decoding.. It is an Intel i5 3.1GHz with 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, running Windows XP SP3. External hardware includes 4 USB sound cards for recording and decoding purposes, a Wavecom W-PCI card, and 4 USB to serial adapters for computer control of various radios. Software running on this machine includes TrunkPCR, ProScan, Wavecom WCode, PC-ALE, Ham Radio Deluxe, WinRadio SDR, SpectraVue, Pro96Com, HomePatrol Sentinel, and a bunch of other radio related decoders and software applications.

3.jpg

This computer is mounted in this rack, which houses most of the radios that I own.

The rack was designed to house all radios, decoders, 12V/120V power, multi couplers, recorders etc in one enclosure so as to reduce the amount of cables running through the office. It has worked out well. All installed in this rack (on wheels) includes:

Icom R-9500 (general purpose receiver - HF through microwave)
GRE PSR-500 (P25 monitoring and control channel decoding)
Uniden BCD996T (General scanning for San Antonio)
AOR AR-5000+3 (Mil, Aero, VUF/UHF Spectrum Analysis, HF overflow receive)
Icom R2500 (San Antonio EDACS System)
RF Space SDR-14 (Connected to the AR5000 IF Output for spectrum analysis)
BC-235 (control channel monitoring)
Winradio G33DDC Pro SDR Receiver (my primary HF receiver)

Additionally, a AirNav Radar box resides in the attic and is connected back to this computer using a USB to CAT-5 converter, then translated to USB/IP for wireless USB over IP from the upstairs to the downstairs office.

I also own a BCD396T which is my primary mobile scanner (mainly for air shows and special events), and a HomePatrol w/GPS receiver (my primary travel scanner). Since the San Antonio area cannot be monitored with a scanner (all EDACS ProVoice here!), my use of mobile and portable scanners is pretty limited.

Interconnection components in this rack include:

8 port Stridesburg multi coupler for VHF/UHF Discone
4 port Stridesburg multi coupler for HF long wire
12 Channel Eurorack Pro audio mixer for all audio to 2 sets of speakers
25 Amp 12V DC Power supply
Rigrunner 4012 DC distribution panel with power poles for 12V
UPS for the radio PC, behind a Tripp-lite Isobar

On top of the rack is a Netbook run Ubuntu which functions as a platform for DSD.

The audio mixer at the top is key to a nice business office with a lot of radios. I can immediately mute all radios and computers for a phone call/conference call, and I can direct certain audio, on demand, to specific speakers.

The front of the rack:

4.jpg

Back. Note the amount of cables that are contained in this one enclosure.

41.jpg

For the antennas. I have 4 antennas that are used. They are:

The gold standard Radio Shack discone fed to the 8 port multi coupler in the office. This is my primary 30 MHz+ antenna and gives great performance all through south Texas. This antenna is mounted behind my chimney since I've got a pretty strict HOA - but it cannot be seen by anyone except my next two neighbors and me in my backyard. The two neighbors are obviously cool with it.

5.jpg

A Wellbrook loop antenna. I cannot sing enough praises about this antenna - it performs almost flawlessly on HF. It is connected to the WinRadio HF SDR. As you can see, it is mounted right on top of my kid's play set, which functions nicely as a base camp for another antenna as well.

6.jpg

A 150ft triangle loop throughout my back yard, terminated with a 9:1 matching transformer - at the Apex of the kiddos playlet - it performs quite well.

7.jpg

The final antenna is a DPD productions ADS-B 1900 MHz antenna for the Air Nav RadarBox. It is connected by a 6 foot piece of Coax to the RadarBox which is installed right in the attic under the vent, so loss on the coax is virtually nil. I easily get 250-300nm range from the Radarbox and can easily track international flights that transit the eastern edge of the Gulf of Mexico.

8.jpg

That's about it - let me know what questions you have :)

Last edited:

squirrel25

Love it! A clean office is a must for me I really like how clean you have everything. Love the rack.

I would like to know how you have the image twisted so it fits vertically?

I notice you have the webcamera sideways... I hate having my camera looking at me I am waiting for that little green light to turn on some day... :/

Might need a few cable ties however :)

ScannaMan9

That is probably the BEST home setup ever! Good idea on the playset
That rack holds A LOT of wires. What would you do if you had to paint or something, and move it?
Can we see pics of your "Car shack?"

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A helluva setup - though I would really be afraid of debugging that rat's nest of wiring in the back of that one enclosure. It would be an absolute nightmare...I didn't see any tags to show which jumper goes where.

Have you ever considered a light duty TV rotator for the loop?

2 words come to mind - HOLY COW ....Mike

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Great setup. :D :D :D Have you thought about becoming a ham radio operator so that you can add a few more radios to your collection and being able to talk to people?

Last edited:

ScannaMan9

A helluva setup - though I would really be afraid of debugging that rat's nest of wiring in the back of that one enclosure. It would be an absolute nightmare...I didn't see any tags to show which jumper goes where.

Have you ever considered a light duty TV rotator for the loop?

2 words come to mind - HOLY COW ....Mike

Me three?!

Never seen you post, yet you have over 14,000 posts! That's twice blantonl's, and he's the CEO of RR!

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Well done, Lindsay! It is impressive and I'm loving now neatly you have done it.

No doubt it's a lot of work running RR but it's obvious that you love what you do.

Kudos to you and your staff!

Russell

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Hi Lindsay,
Everything looks great, neat and clean and thank you for all your hard work on this site..

commscanaus

Awesome Lindsay! Very impressive.

I am just amazed how much the IC-R9500 dwarfs the AR5000!

It is very fitting that the man responsible for this great website is the owner of an IC-R9500!

Thanks very much for the pictures.

They also help to illustrate that even with HOA restrictions in place it is still possible to have a serious monitoring station.

One day your children will be shooting hoops through your loop antenna- you may have to horizontally polarise it for them!

Regards, Commscanaus.

Status
Not open for further replies.