RadioReference.com Global Corporate HQ - April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

Very professional shack Lindsay-I would love to see a video of your 9500 chasing utilities, with some high end filtration demos and signal refining:D the world just needs to see this almost unobtainable receiver doing some real world DX.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have to tell you that I'm not all that impressed with the Icom R-9500 considering it's price and "cool" look. It suffers from a bunch of anoyances including:

* No 30 KHz filter for WX Sat and other applications
* No way to scan with zero delay (min is 2 secs)
* Voice Squelch function is practically unusable and cannot be adjusted
* Band changes across HF results in a noticeable "pop"
* Runs hot, and has a noisy fan
* Bandscope is more of a novelty than anything really useful
* Has a built in RTTY decoder that is practically useless - and that is the only decoder
* Firmware was last updated once, just after release of the product.

All in all, it is a terrific receiver, but it could certainly be a lot more and better. It seems like it is a great platform that could have been built upon by Icom, but they just seem to have neglected it.

All in all, my favorite receiver that I own is the AR5000+3 - you can configure and tweak a zillion different things with it - and it is a superb receiver.

I dream that one day Icom puts out an updated firmware that really upgrades this platform to something special - especially considering the SDR market has already rolled out products that far surpass the capabilities of the R9500.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
FWIW, I solved the "hot" running problem of the receivers and transceivers (assuming there were 12vdc input jacks) I've used over the years by running everything off an external regulated power supply (Astron 50a and 20a here). Regulation is better than any of the built-in supplies. The JRC 525 and 535 run stone-cold. Those shack thingies not running on 12vdc for, the most part, run on 5vdc, and a little 5a Lamda supply takes care of those things. Less cords, cooler shack. Maybe that would help.

JSTARS03

Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Awesome

Wow, that is one impressive office with lots of hardware to support it.
The rack really does keep it clean and organized looking.
Awesome.

JSTARS03

zguy1243

Really like it Lindsay. Very capable setup. I agree with the quality of the AR5000's, bang for the buck. Good looking rack...we just need to get you some lacing bars :)

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Development on RadioReference is done using CENTOS 6 VMware image that runs on the Mac Pro which is able to completely replicate our production environment on one image - web, database, nfs, proxy, audio, archiving etc. I can copy that image to my laptop for mobile development work when needed.
Just wondering - how much data (MB? GB?) do you typically keep locally when doing DEV/QA work?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nice station lindsay! :)

I would have never guessed RR was possible from a neighborhood governed by a HOA ...interesting!
Thanks for all your hard work too!

n9zas

weeksben1

Rack Info

Lindsay,

What is the make and model of the equipment rack you're using, I've got some network gear I'm looking to rack up and that looks like it might work for my application.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.