RadioReference.com Releases New FCC Database Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
RadioReference is pleased to announce new FCC database features:

1. Licenses for Aircraft Base, Marine Base, and Broadcast.
2. New filters for Aircraft Base, Marine Base, and Broadcast Licenses.
3. Addition of Column for FCC License Status for County Listings.
4. FCC County License Display Cleanups, new filters, better display of options.

You can see Dallas County as an example, however all counties have the data loaded. Click the "FCC Licenses Tab" on each county page for the new FCC License features.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

WouffHong

Excellent improvement, but how about a suggestion to consider, lindsay:

Many of us would use the "premium" features, including the download feature, only a limited number of times/year, but would love to keep in a semi-premium state of support at minimum.. Ergo, we remain as kinda non-supporters, although past donors.

If not a programmer's nightmare, please consider a support "class" (or "seniors" class?) for those of us of limited means (usually ol' fahts like me on SS income :) ) and allow us to pay a particular donation not limited by TIME, (as it is now), but limited by a fixed number of Downloads determined by the amount of donation!

It would bring a few more shekels into the kitty there, and I am sure MANY of us would definitely re-join the donation bandwagon at a level within our means, instead of staying as plain ol' "members" or asking a friend to get a file for us. (not guilty, BTW!) I know *I* would sign up again!! :)

Think about it, Lindsay.. It WOULD bring a lot of us "back into the fold", so to speak, of donating status - one which could match our planned usage profile..

Maybe set up as something like:

Donation = $0.25 x # of Downloads estimated to need.. (or something along that line, Lindsay) again, not limited by TIME, but by a download counter in their account!!
One could include a download of a PDF or other "premium" reports as a download-counter increment item as well, of course..

Thoughts??

73 es G'Bless....

Tom
W4NOV

RadioReference is pleased to announce new FCC database features:

1. Licenses for Aircraft Base, Marine Base, and Broadcast.
2. New filters for Aircraft Base, Marine Base, and Broadcast Licenses.
3. Addition of Column for FCC License Status for County Listings.
4. FCC County License Display Cleanups, new filters, better display of options.

You can see Dallas County as an example, however all counties have the data loaded. Click the "FCC Licenses Tab" on each county page for the new FCC License features.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Donation = $0.25 x # of Downloads estimated to need.. (or something along that line, Lindsay) again, not limited by TIME, but by a download counter in their account!!
One could include a download of a PDF or other "premium" reports as a download-counter increment item as well, of course..

I think the vast majority of people who sign up download just a few items. All I used it for was to download a few systems into my scanner one time... over the course of a year. the next year (this year) i've used it even less. Still worth the $30/yr.

IMO, $0.25 a download would basically cause him to get less revenue. Even if he were to get more people sign up, they'd do the same thing as everyone else... download maybe 4-5 times for a $1.25 and he'd need 24 of those people just to make up one of the $30 premium subscribers he has now. Lowering it wouldn't be a good idea. I don't believe he'd make more money to do it, and if he makes less money you might not see the site features improve over time like you do now.

Besides, all of the content is available for free anyway.

Mike

WouffHong

Time vs DL-volume class thoughts..

FWIW: the 0.25 was a SWAG amount, but would have to be set by RR at a fair amount for RR ops costs, with it reflecting all downloads (PDF's, CSV's, etc.), of course. :) - For most folks the current pricing IS INDEED a bargain, especially those who are heavily into it! :)

There is, and has been, NO issue with the powerful access capabilities available without a Premium memberships whatsoever. The amount of work and available informaton is, AND has been, outstanding, Mike.

I just see it as a way to bring more folks into a donating state with that "class" I proposed - to reach the "occasional-need" low-profile "members" class that needs just a simple update/upgrade to their programmable scanner database in CSV format (usually).

As a 70+ disAbilities advocate and Polio-Survivor with Post-Polio Syndrome (http://pps.info) now, typing (this reply took me about 20 minutes so far) and (frankly) COMPREHENDING the manuals is difficult (we call it "brain-fog"), so loading in a pre-prepared CSV sure makes the hobby a lot easier to enjoy/pursue.. :)

Call it an low-income hobbyist/disableds accommodation exploration, Mike, and rather than drag it out, I will just leave the concept in Lindsay's capable hands to ponder, and drop back into the weeds.. :)

AGAIN: It's ONLY a low-key suggestion - food for thought - and not a campaign! :)

73 es G'Bless....

Tom

http://w4nov.com
--------------------------------
I think the vast majority of people who sign up download just a few items. All I used it for was to download a few systems into my scanner one time... over the course of a year. the next year (this year) i've used it even less. Still worth the $30/yr.

IMO, $0.25 a download would basically cause him to get less revenue. Even if he were to get more people sign up, they'd do the same thing as everyone else... download maybe 4-5 times for a $1.25 and he'd need 24 of those people just to make up one of the $30 premium subscribers he has now. Lowering it wouldn't be a good idea. I don't believe he'd make more money to do it, and if he makes less money you might not see the site features improve over time like you do now.

Besides, all of the content is available for free anyway.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
AGAIN: It's ONLY a low-key suggestion - food for thought - and not a campaign! :)

--------------------------------

Fair enough, Tom, and I could see the utility of it. If it is something that could be done without a lot of nightmarish backend coding, it makes sense to consider. I have wondered on occasion just how people a year subscribe... and I'm sure if one could compare that number to the total # of members on the site, and then factor in the # of new premium subscribers per month, one would still see quite a large number of people that could/would fit into your category.

Good day :)

Mike

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Absolutely Great!

I have to tell you, I am lovin this new on/off feature. I love being able to narrow the searches to display only what I want at that moment. Thank you who ever came up with this idea.

Manny

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Why anyone uses the ULS database over ours surprises me... anyone have any suggestions where we aren't providing what is needed?

I see posts to the "legacy" ULS all the time and I'm hoping to change that ;-)

nd5y

Why anyone uses the ULS database over ours surprises me... anyone have any suggestions where we aren't providing what is needed?

One thing that I have noticed is some of the location descriptions are missing.

If you have a license with a lot of base and mobile frequencies like this one:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=WQBL295
You can't tell which mobile frequency is paired with which base frequency,
because it is on high band and there is no standard offset, and the location number doesn't really tell you anything.

If you go to the ULS listing for the same license:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp?licKey=2666524
There is a drop down box called "Filter Frequencies By Location"
Or you can click on the locations tab http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseLocSum.jsp?licKey=2666524
You can see for example that Location #1 (151.100 FB2 the repeater output) location is Euless and Location #2 (156.135 MO the repeater input) location is a radius around Location #1.
So at least for this particular system you can figure out the repeater inputs using the ULS and you can't do that using RRDB.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
The only reasons I have been going to ULS was to confirm status and get information on aviation entries and the like.... EDIT: I use the archive function to research old licenses that are still in use after expiration/termination. The geographic search (Point Radius) comes in handy when figuring out which freqs are in use at an airport or industiral park, for example, and when trying to pinpoint freqs uncovered in a Close Call search...EDIT But most of my work is done using the resources thru rr.com because it is a lot easier to browse and, not being a government operation, doesn't require a convoluted series of data to get an answer.

Last edited:

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Along the lines of what unitcharlie posted - I am looking to exclude expired licenses, in order to zero in on likely active frequencies.

Could this be expanded to choose among whatever statuses are available?

kd4bas

Monitoring, Hanging Out, & --mn-@v@-mn-- you.
Premium Subscriber
Lindsay, is there a way to export the FCC data to excel other than copy & paste, if so, would you consider adding this type of feature.

I use this when I am traveling into an area for the first time to locate frequencies of interest that may not be listed on the counties web pages.

Thanks for the super site & features

b52hbuff

Would it be possible to have the default setting for the various filters (e.g. mobiles, trunking, etc) to be set to off? The difficulty for me is that I live in a county that has many licenses. If I want to narrow the search results to one category, I need to click off an unwanted one and then wait for the database lookup and rendering to complete. I need to repeat this until I finally get down to the criteria I want.

I don't think this is so onerous if you are working with a small county with few licenses. With a big county and a lot of licenses, the iteration can take a while to resolve.

Ideally, the state of the criteria switches would be configurable. But I'd be happy even if they could simply be set to off.

Status
Not open for further replies.