RadioShack Pro-163

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tac-1

Better off getting the PRO-197 when it goes on sale again got mine for 299.00 a few weeks ago
its the same exact radio as the GRE PSR-600

PRO-163 does not decode P25
but as aways it up to you and your budget
Tac-1

davidbroxson

I have the pro-163. Like Tac 1 said it's not P25. Its a good scanner, RS has the portable model pro-164. Back to the 163, I wouldn't pay full price thought (219.99), try to catch it on sale. I paid 119.99 during the christmas holidays.

Hudson464

Thanks for your help Tac-1

David, How does the pro 163 do on receiving weak signals?

The Scanner I have a Uniden Bearcat BC370CRS Scanner, there is a lot of static on the City Police channel I listen to.

Dan

robbinsj2

For all police, fire, and EMS in Mercer County you would presently only need an analog conventional scanner, with the following exceptions:

Trenton FD, you would need an analog trunktracker to get nearly all of their channels.
Ewing PD and Trenton PD can not be monitored with any type of scanner.
Both Ewing and Mercer County have all-digital trunked systems, however all current users are encrypted so no scanner can receive them. It is unclear if/when there will be digital clear (unencrypted) comms on the systems.

Getting a digital scanner now would expand current listening options outside of Mercer County (including Burlington, Ocean, and Philadelphia), and presumably within Mercer in the future. Don't expect the Pro-197 to go on sale for $300 again any time soon though; a sale price of $400 would be a little more likely.

The Pro-163 is custom made by GRE for RadioShack. It is a clone of the GRE-branded PSR-400 with really only cosmetic differences. ScannerMaster currently lists the PSR-400 for $170 (regular price $200), so I highly recommend it over the Pro-163 for cost reasons. In addition GRE-branded scanners generally come with as many or even more accessories than RadioShack-branded scanners.

Jim

Hudson464

For all police, fire, and EMS in Mercer County you would presently only need an analog conventional scanner, with the following exceptions:

Trenton FD, you would need an analog trunktracker to get nearly all of their channels.
Ewing PD and Trenton PD can not be monitored with any type of scanner.
Both Ewing and Mercer County have all-digital trunked systems, however all current users are encrypted so no scanner can receive them. It is unclear if/when there will be digital clear (unencrypted) comms on the systems.

Getting a digital scanner now would expand current listening options outside of Mercer County (including Burlington, Ocean, and Philadelphia), and presumably within Mercer in the future. Don't expect the Pro-197 to go on sale for $300 again any time soon though; a sale price of $400 would be a little more likely.

The Pro-163 is custom made by GRE for RadioShack. It is a clone of the GRE-branded PSR-400 with really only cosmetic differences. ScannerMaster currently lists the PSR-400 for $170 (regular price $200), so I highly recommend it over the Pro-163 for cost reasons. In addition GRE-branded scanners generally come with as many or even more accessories than RadioShack-branded scanners.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

The info was very helpful, You saved me some money :)

I didn't know the psr-400 is a clone of the 163.

1 more question... I also listen to aircraft & milair traffic...could you tell me which scanner is best

the 400 or 163

Dan

robbinsj2

As clones, they should perform almost identically. Really the only difference is the scanner case, with slightly different button shapes, and something with the firmware which prevents you from using a PSR-400 firmware upgrade in a Pro-163. Otherwise the abilities and functioning and internal hardware are all effectively the same; you can use the same software to program the 400 and 163 and you can even clone the programming back and forth directly.

A better question would be how the Pro-163/PSR-400 compare against Uniden-made scanners on VHF and UHF air. I don't listen to air bands and I don't have a recent Uniden scanner so I can't answer that.

If no one else speaks up to answer that question here, I suggest you post on either the GRE or RadioShack Scanners forum and ask how this model's real-world sensitivity is on the air bands.

Jim

Hudson464

As clones, they should perform almost identically. Really the only difference is the scanner case, with slightly different button shapes, and something with the firmware which prevents you from using a PSR-400 firmware upgrade in a Pro-163. Otherwise the abilities and functioning and internal hardware are all effectively the same; you can use the same software to program the 400 and 163 and you can even clone the programming back and forth directly.

A better question would be how the Pro-163/PSR-400 compare against Uniden-made scanners on VHF and UHF air. I don't listen to air bands and I don't have a recent Uniden scanner so I can't answer that.

If no one else speaks up to answer that question here, I suggest you post on either the GRE or RadioShack Scanners forum and ask how this model's real-world sensitivity is on the air bands.

Jim
Thanks Jim,

I will try that.

Dan

Blueslegend

RS-163- a BIG, Big, dog

Sorry, I just saw someone asking about a good scanner for New Jersey. Don't live there...don't know. But the PRO-163 might be good for strong transmitting public service repeaters, but otherwise is as deaf as a stump. Take a look at the SPECS. If you want to listed to the Weather Stations or other VHF stations, you will have better luck with two soup cans and string. Good luck in Jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.