Railroad Special Agents [Police]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS9710

Does anyone know the CSXT and NS Police/Special Agent frequencies for the various system/division/regions, or are they all systemwide? Thanks!

Nasby

Cell phones. I haven't heard a railroad cop on the radio in over 5 years.
And I live near a major yard and 2 mainlines.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
In the Philadelphia area there are various railroad police frequencies and departments who are actively patrolling and heard on the radio.

As far as CSX and Norfolk Southern their police departments are active and their police frequencies can be found on the radio reference database.

In the Philadelphia area where I am along the Northeast Corridor we have Amtrak police who are a very active Police Department with various police frequencies on VHF High. They patrol all the stations and it's a pretty active Channel. The Southeastern Transportation Authority railroad also have their own police with their own frequency. Amtrak and SEPTA are both police departments like any other and they are full police officers. I'm on the border of New Jersey and New Jersey Transit Police cover their rail operations and are the same and very active on the radio except now it is encrypted.

All of these frequencies are listed in the RR database so just take a look for your area. I do believe that at least Norfolk Southern police are now nxdn.

NS9710

I don't see anything for NC and VA, however I do see CSX Officers using both Harris radio and NX210 radios [both on them at the same time] so I'm curious how that works.

In the Philadelphia area there are various railroad police frequencies and departments who are actively patrolling and heard on the radio.

As far as CSX and Norfolk Southern their police departments are active and their police frequencies can be found on the radio reference database.

In the Philadelphia area where I am along the Northeast Corridor we have Amtrak police who are a very active Police Department with various police frequencies on VHF High. They patrol all the stations and it's a pretty active Channel. The Southeastern Transportation Authority railroad also have their own police with their own frequency. Amtrak and SEPTA are both police departments like any other and they are full police officers. I'm on the border of New Jersey and New Jersey Transit Police cover their rail operations and are the same and very active on the radio except now it is encrypted.

All of these frequencies are listed in the RR database so just take a look for your area. I do believe that at least Norfolk Southern police are now nxdn.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep I hear you. I have actually seen police from both railroads in my area in the last 5 years or so but they're not headquartered anywhere nearby. Both departments used unmarked SUVs.

Most of the track is owned by Amtrak and they assist other police agencies the same way local police will assist Amtrak in an emergency.

We do have one stretch of track that is owned by CSX and the only time their police would come out would be a fatality like someone was hit by a train or a wreck or a major crime committed on their property. Other than that it's SEPTA rail police because SEPTA trains do run on that track and the stations are owned by and patrolled by SEPTA. That stretch of track is a freight line owned by CSX going from Philly to West Trenton New Jersey. Both NS and CSX police are shown dispatched out of Philly.

Amtrak police in my area is also dispatched Out of Philly but they use a Trenton Tower which is very local to me and in my area they have their own PL tone so I only hear the Amtrak police activity in my area only unless of course I removed the pl tone and then it's pretty much system-wide.

It might take some investigation to see how much NS and CSX track you have and where the police who serve that area are headquartered.

As far as nxdn that was just word of mouth that someone told me.

I'm a big rail fan in the Philly area for a long long time I just don't know your local area but it's nice talking to you about it anyway. I listen to railroad police everyday. Mostly patrolling The Yards and stations with an occasional accident investigation or suicide on the Northeast Corridor. There are lots of trespasser calls but local police handle them long before Amtrak police could get there. Same with the CSX line near me.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Here in IN they have a TG on SAFE-T TRS, and talk to Operations Dispatchers on the main freqs, and with Amtrak Police on the local Amtrak PD Repeater sometimes. They are beginning to prepare to go to NXDN on the "listed" police freqs at least locally. From what I am told they will be encrypted. Main thing they do here locally is run off folks that park on CSXT property, or write tickets to them, and run off homeless camps on CSXT land. They have caught a few train hoppers here that get too close to the yards.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Does anyone know the CSXT and NS Police/Special Agent frequencies for the various system/division/regions, or are they all systemwide? Thanks!

In Ohio NS uses 161.205 (AAR 073) but it's NXDN digital and encrypted; I'm pretty sure that's systemwide. CSX does very occasionally use 160.875 (AAR 051) when chatting with each other, but by and large they use cell phones.

Both also have talkgroups on Ohio MARCS-IP which are intended for interoperability with the locals, although they're rarely used.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Metra PD *might* still be on analog. The last time I was in Chicago I plugged 160.605 in my radio and heard police chatter. This was a couple years ago, though.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Metra PD *might* still be on analog. The last time I was in Chicago I plugged 160.605 in my radio and heard police chatter. This was a couple years ago, though.
Metra has their own talkgroups on Starcom21 they are dispatched by Cook County sheriff. They are in the clear.

Mike-KC8OWL

Good friend of mine is an Special Agent for NS. He is dispatched via cell phone from the main operations center. He had a radio in the truck and a handheld, but they are basically for comms with the train crews as needed.

RadioDitch

Field Operations Member
Premium Subscriber
NS Police use cell phones and fully encrypted NXDN, and are dispatched over NXDN on 160.560 in the Northeast at least by the dispatcher (NS 1000) at the NS Police Command Center in Atlanta. CSX Police use cell phones and VHF in most states, however in some including Indiana and New Jersey, have a TG on a state trunked system.

I will chime in for South eastern WIsconsin the CN, CP, UP all use cell phones to communicate with dispatch they have radios in there trucks to communicate with train crews I have only ever heard CP police talk to a train crew once while I was out railfanning, UP has a talk group on digi talk NXDN system but haven’t heard a peep on it from WI sites

Status
Not open for further replies.