Ramapo (Rockland Co) EMS Paging

murse_joe

Ramapo EMS operates on the Rockland County trunked P25 system. Does anybody know if they are still dispatched or toned out on a conventional channel? The database lists 155.355 but I don't hear anything. Did they stop dispatching or are they doing it on a different frequency? Or are they only being dispatched on the P25?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Disregard my previous (deleted) post. It would appear that Ramapo PD did in fact terminate their leases for the 155.355 transmitters. All comms are exclusively on the TRS now. RIP WNPH543.

murse_joe

Ah thank you! I was wondering. And a little sad.

I think now only North Rockland and Orangetown simulcast their EMS comms now? Clarkstown does paging only on VHF.

murse_joe

All Clarkstown EMS comms, including paging, go over both VHF and 700.

I believe Clarkstown "201" is all on the 700 system, they simulcast dispatch/tones only but no traffic.

Orangetown "301" simulcasts all 700 traffic on their old VHF channel (which is the same as Clarkstown's frequency 155.160)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Ah sorry I misread what you wrote. For whatever reason I read it as "they only page on VHF" meaning not on 700 also. Anyway, yeah, VHF is dying in Rockland, has been for a while now, obviously. Might be more to come, some changes being hashed out that may take place in the summer/early fall.

PS - I was operating on all of those EMS VHF and fire low band channels in the county 35 years ago. Can still rattle off all of the frequencies and PL tones off the top of my head, even though 80% of them are long gone. I'm getting old.

trauma74

Ramapo PD also took down their radio tower at the station and they have all of their antennas mounted on the roof of the station. It works fine on 700/800mhz system, but for VHF it is terrible. Last I knew, they still had the old VHF EMS frequencies in their consoles along with the old VHF PD frequency.
They also didn't consider their neighbors across the state line in NJ. Many of the Bergen County agencies use NJ SPEN which is VHF & 401 always monitored it and in some urgent cases, transmitted on it. The neighboring agencies can hardly hear 401 and 401 can hardly hear them. Sometimes the radio is much quicker than making a phone call but apparently that does not matter.

murse_joe

We are just across the border too in Passaic County but we can't communicate with Rockland or Orange county units. At least when they simulcast on VHF we can monitor.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There are plenty of out-of-county radios on both systems (Rockland and Orange), so it's not very difficult to communicate if you truly need to. Sussex County and Pike County both have radios on the Quad State talkgroup, and Bergen will also at some point. Mahwah has plenty of radios on the Rockland system, including the police desk. There are numerous police, fire, and EMS agencies in northern Bergen that have the Rockland system in their radios. And so on.

My point is that both counties did what they felt necessary, which was to unite nearly all public safety within each county on a common system. Perhaps some don't realize how much of a challenge it is to get that many agencies on the same page. Bergen County is a good example of what a hot mess it can be when everyone does their own thing and there is very little commonality between even bordering agencies.

So yeah, sorry that Rockland and Orange no longer bother with noisy low band or VHF, but at the end of the day their primary concern is and should be what is happening within their county, not across the border in another state.

murse_joe

Fair enough, you're not wrong. I just like to hear what's going on. Probably like most of the folks on here.

We're in Passaic County. You're right in that we could get radios to listen if we wanted. But we border like five different systems. Bergen county, Morris County, Orange County, Rockland County, and the NJ statewide. A few bordering towns use DMR systems. It's really tough to try and get all of those especially for a few channels we'd use infrequently.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
All five of those P25 systems you listed are 700/800, so a couple of single band TDMA capable radios for mutual aid/interop/cache would do the trick, no need to break the bank. Can't help you with DMR, as I don't believe public safety should be using it, but I understand the appeal of a cheaper price tag vs P25 with the TDMA benefit.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
While we're on the topic of Ramapo EMS (not SPEN), word on the street is that 401 is looking to get out of the EMS dispatching business, and the county will likely take over at some point in the near-ish future. If and when that happens, look for the TG assignment for the town to change, probably to 3051 along with the two other county-dispatched EMS agencies in North Rockland. On the plus side, TG 3051 is simulcast over 155.595 off Cheesecote Mtn, meaning Ramapo EMS will probably wind up back on VHF at some point.

murse_joe

Why would they change to 3051? I'd have the county just dispatch on 3041, seems like it would be too busy to have Ramapo, Haverstraw, Stony Point all on one talkgroup.

ff026

Feed Provider
Why would they change to 3051? I'd have the county just dispatch on 3041, seems like it would be too busy to have Ramapo, Haverstraw, Stony Point all on one talkgroup.
26 fire departments get dispatched on 1 TG at a time. Shouldn’t be a big deal.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's not that cut and dry, there are other considerations and factors.