Randolph County System

west-pac

Update on the Randolph County 3-site 700Mhz simulcast radio system.

west-pac

After not finding this Randolph county P25 system online yet, and finding a different/unknown P25 system online doing grid testing, and driving thru Randolph county and not finding either P25 system online, I went digging into the Randolph Co Commissioner's online meeting minutes.

Apparently the crew that J&K hired to install the antenna's on Randolph county's south tower found some bolts that were put in backwards, and some bent bracing pieces, which put all of the work and monetary payments on hold until the Commissioners were happy.

There is information about this radio system in every meeting minute document I read on Randolph county's website, starting from July. It looks like LE will have some encryption also, although the SHF already has 9 APX 4000s that are unencryptable. In one of the meeting minutes one of the commissioners said they might as well buy all new radios that can be encrypted.

Just now, after this 3-site system is built and erected, is the Sheriff talking to the Commissioners about which public safety and public service depts need radios, how many, and how they're going to pay for them.

In one of the meeting minutes it said J&K was going to be able to build and test this system while waiting on FCC approval. So, this unknown P25 system that I'm only seeing and hearing on Saturday mornings, doing grid testing, may be the new Randolph county P25 system awaiting a new FCC license (for some reason). If this is the case, I'm confused on why this system would be 99% completed, yet nobody has even ordered radios for it yet.

The freqs for the unknown P25 system in the area, doing coverage testing are: 770.10625, 770.50625 CC, 7771.33125 SCC.

The Randolph county commissioners meeting minutes can be found here: https://randolphcounty.us/departments/county-commissioners

west-pac

I've still yet to hear or see this Randolph Co system on the air yet. I'm going to have to go do some digging to see what the hold-up is. Last I had read (several months ago) was, the antenna installers had concerns about the tower installers quality of work. A solution should've been had by now. Maybe something dramatic happened, or maybe weather delayed any further work until Spring.

ScanNEIN

I wonder if counties are choosing to go to these 3-site P25 Phase 2 systems because they want a radio upgrade, better coverage, less busy signals; but not go to First Net, like IPSC seems to be interested in.

Here in Blackford county they moved off SAFE-T about 5-6 years ago, reportedly because Grant and Delaware counties kept the Blackford county site busy/full, and Blackford county units were tired of getting busy signals. Blackford county bought their own VHF DMR repeater for either $40k or $60k, instead of buying additional voice channels on the SAFE-T site for $5k/each. They've since added 2 more DMR repeaters (for each town within the county) for better handheld coverage, essentially leaving the original DMR repeater at the jail (near the east county line) sitting idle; and then conventionally linked all 3 together. Needless to say, the powers-to-be must be easily influenced by radio vendors around here.

I've heard rumor that another county in northeast Indiana may be implementing one of these 3-site simulcast P25 systems this year, as well.
Kosciusko and Grant are in the process of putting up towers for the same system

west-pac

Kosciusko and Grant are in the process of putting up towers for the same system
Absolutely. Grant County already has tower bases in the ground. That system was in the works pre-covid.

Edit: They're not "the same system". They're a similar, independent system, by the same companies, but they're not going to be connected to one another.

dispatcher40

Feed Provider
Randolph County 700 Mhz Trunk System FCC Call Sign WRKX404

Control Frequency I'm monitoring is:
P25 Standard Trunk

TGID ID'd so far
10001 County LE
10016 County Fire
10030 Randolph County EMS
10041 Union City Public Works

The scanner has also caught the following TG but due to a setting error I wasn't able to ID who was on it: