Random Key Ups on NJ UHF UASI and EC Fire MA Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Over the last 18 hours or so I have been monitoring long duration key ups on the following UHF frequencies/channels.

New Jersey, Public Safety Common
North-East Region UASI
NJUTAC44,45,46,47 & 48 and also on
Essex County, NJ
EC FMA Countywide Fire Mutual Aid

Key up duration last anywhere form 10 to 45 seconds. No audio, analog carrier with the listed repeater proper CTCSS PL tone.
The Key ups tend to migrate one frequency to another in this group or at times happen on multiple frequencies simultaneously especially on NJUTAC 44,46 & 48.
Could it be Techs testing or adjusting the equipment or perhaps something more sinister i.e. malicious jamming or interference?
It could also be equipment and wiring issues - phone line, intermittent wire shorting and component issues at the repeater site (West Orange) from the recent snow storm?

Anyone else in NNJ have monitored this?

Thank you,

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Home for the holidays, and I heard the same early this morning between 05:00-06:30, carrier with no voice. ECFMA is sometimes patched to a UTAC channel, so I just assumed it was related to that. It definitely is something intentional, whether malicious, testing or incidental.

CM1

Premium Subscriber
I'm catching random key ups here too (with full bars) tonight on above (plus ITAC5) and I'm down in central NJ

AlexC

Database Admin
I wouldn't be surprised if this was testing by vendors installing a BDA system or something similar. It could also be coverage checks to verify coverage meets specifications to close out a project.

ecps92

Could be bad COPPER pairs at the the Repeater/Comparator/Voter sites - happens all the time with Verizon pairs that have not been maintained in decades, that get WET or flake-out with the COLD

Over the last 18 hours or so I have been monitoring long duration key ups on the following UHF frequencies/channels.

New Jersey, Public Safety Common
North-East Region UASI
NJUTAC44,45,46,47 & 48 and also on
Essex County, NJ
EC FMA Countywide Fire Mutual Aid

Key up duration last anywhere form 10 to 45 seconds. No audio, analog carrier with the listed repeater proper CTCSS PL tone.
The Key ups tend to migrate one frequency to another in this group or at times happen on multiple frequencies simultaneously especially on NJUTAC 44,46 & 48.
Could it be Techs testing or adjusting the equipment or perhaps something more sinister i.e. malicious jamming or interference?
It could also be equipment and wiring issues - phone line, intermittent wire shorting and component issues at the repeater site (West Orange) from the recent snow storm?

Anyone else in NNJ have monitored this?

Thank you,

katt02

Katt
I have heard this on the EC Mutual aid channel; Based off the sound and duration of it I think it is probably a phone line or some problem in their equipment. I say this only on the basis that it sounds very similar to a phone line problem that I have heard on another repeater.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Could be bad COPPER pairs at the the Repeater/Comparator/Voter sites - happens all the time with Verizon pairs that have not been maintained in decades, that get WET or flake-out with the COLD

Also with said phone companies ending support of "hard" copper lines and I believe one dead line is the end of this year (2019) may be exacerbating problem. The situation on these frequencies remains the same with little or no change as of this posting.
However, I also have made notification to person(s) who have oversight to this system through my affiliation with OEM. :rolleyes:(y):coffee:

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
The issue is at the West Orange site, radio repair is on site right now working on it. Looks like a couple of bad cards.
20:10 EST - The situation on these frequencies remains the same with little or no change as of this posting. :rolleyes:?

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
:unsure:Monday afternoon 12-9-19, Problem has cleared up on Essex County Fire Mutual Aid however still remains on NJUTAC44,45,46,47 & 48 though its more random and not as frequent.:rolleyes::coffee:

joedisp

Premium Subscriber
update, there is a conflict in the RAD between legacy boards & new boards. They are legacy boards are due to be replaced tomorrow afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.