RCMP encrypted early perhaps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel_Rouser

Well...I hope they do not ask the public for any help cause those wit hscanners can hear whats going on and if they are around anywhere...where something is going on,then they can help the police...so if they want help,people should say...sorry...don't know anything....even if you have seen anything,thats how u repay them,plus in HFX I hope that sense of knowledge will be the same....want extra eyes from scanner users,then stay in the open...i rem down in Kentville a few yrs ago...the dispatcher said...anyone listening on a scanner,please keep an eye out for this van...well it worked...so HFX PD and RCMP...do not ask the public for help if u do not want hobbiests to listen...cheers

Res21cue

Feed Provider
As per a post above, it appears as the whole eastern shore up to and including sheet Harbour is still unencrypted

darrylcn

I believe Musquodoboit is in the clear as well Chris. Been hearing them periodically. I try and force my scanner to stay on Geizers (no easy task in our rec room in Cole Harbour) so I haven't heard em often but it has happened.

On a TMR note, am I the only one who seems to have periodic dead air on talkgroups? It was happening on Sackville a bit this week, and was on Geizers recently too.

hfxChris

Database Admin
I've been monitoring the Musquodoboit TMR site for most of the evening and they've been unencrypted. I will update those two tgs in the database to reflect!

As for dead air...nope can't say I've ever had that, or at least not enough to really notice..

darrylcn

Wow that's really odd. I'm almost positive it's not my scanner doing it since if I switch sites it stops it. It's like 6 seconds of hiss then it stops. Repeats every minute or so.

hfxChris

Database Admin
You've got a good signal right? I wonder if maybe sometimes your scanner is missing the signal at the end of the transmission that tells it to switch back to the control channel...

darrylcn

Hmmm. That's at least A theory. More than I had. That could be correct. I usually have 4 or 5 bars due to the constraints I programmed (it's a 500), but that could be it. Only catch to that is it was the same duration each hiss. Unless there's a timeout. From hitting scan again it did seem like it was interrupting an actual voice call since it would pick up the persons reply so you could be right

novascotian

Are you guys keeping in mind that the eastern shore and Tantallon are all part of the HRP dispatch system even though the actual tg's are RCMP ones, so all of HRM is in the clear, with no encryption other than the specialized channels. I travel in the Eastern Shore tg area every day and there is no change whatsoever. It is only the areas of the province outside HRM that have been encrypted. though of course when the new system comes in I guess everything will be gone.. RCMP and HRP I mean...

hfxChris

Database Admin
Well, if the scanner misses the end code and the TMR site isn't particularly busy, you'll probably just hear a squelch tail - quick burst of static before the squelch mutes it.
If however the site is busy, and the same voice repeater gets assigned to another group call immediately afterwards, I suppose the scanner would just keep on receiving, and display the old talkgroup on the screen..

I know my Pro-96 used to be really bad for this. Not sure what the bug was, if it was missing the end code or what, but very often it would stay on the voice channel after the call was over, and if the VC got assigned to another call immediately (or with minimal delay) the scanner would think it was still the first talkgroup.

However I wouldn't think any modern scanner would suffer the same issue... and I know I haven't had that on anything but my Pro-96.

Just thinking aloud here :)

Res21cue

Feed Provider
Yes they use RCMP TGs but those cars sometimes frequent HRM weather it is for maintenance or whatever, possibly passing through and would need to monitor the HRM TGs like HPD West or whatever they use. This likely one of the reasons why they did not encrypt. I am sure there is other reasons. You are likely right, when the new TMR 2 system comes in, they might go then however, I do have it on good authority, from someone in the know, that HRM PD is NOT...going encrypted with TMR 2 and will remain digital...so those in HRM/RCMP area may never lose the GRC....who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.