Re: MW Images In LW Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB46

But here's my point-it's very perplexing to me that my Icoms R75 and R71a, one a double-conversion and the other a triple conversion and both are legendary-each get strong MW images every 10kHz in LW.
Since you mentioned interference on longwave, at least you get something on your R75 at those frequencies. On mine, I don't get anything from MW; instead I run into one loud AC hum after another as I tune up and down the band. Because of that, even though we have five NDBs within reception range, I can only hear the closest one, which is just 2 miles away.

The ATS-909X, on the other hand, gets all of those NDBs just fine without all the power line hash, even when running on the AC adapter, but then it has a built-in loop antenna, whereas I only have a 23-ft. length of wire for the R75. The loop is very directional, too, so that helps quite a bit.

The odd thing about the portable, however, is that once in a while I hear a siren-like sound on various LW frequencies, sometimes covering up the weaker NDBs. It sounds like one of those infernal car alarms. I couldn't find the source, until I happened to notice that those sirens start rising and falling in pitch exactly in time with the flashing LED on my laptop that indicates sleep mode. As soon as I wake the computer up, the sirens stop. This is certainly not a radio-friendly computer, because unless I put it to sleep it puts strong carriers in various places on HF, even if it's running on battery power.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's really not perplexing at all when you consider that, at least here in the US, the LW band is not used for broadcasting, so there's likely little if any filtering done at the front end for this band. This is more of an issue for portables, but as Ridge points out, even the better desktops can run into this too

Mike

Boombox

The ATS-909X, on the other hand, gets all of those NDBs just fine without all the power line hash, even when running on the AC adapter, but then it has a built-in loop antenna, whereas I only have a 23-ft. length of wire for the R75. The loop is very directional, too, so that helps quite a bit.

My DX-398 / ATS-909 is excellent on LW without an external antenna also. I think the LW goes through the tuned circuits in the radio, same basic path as SW and MW. I'm sure the loop antenna helps defeat some of the images one can get in LW as well.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From our wiki; here's a couple that would fit the bill...

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/preamps/2964.html

Cross Country Wireless HF Preselector

and while this one has been discontinued, I suppose it's possible to find it on eBay or others...and there's a nice review from NASWA, with response curves at the bottom...

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/preamps/3790.html

NASWA Journal Columns · Equipment Reviews, January 2000

We can include the McKey Dymek DP-40 and DP4044 (which I think was meant for use on a ship - it is rack mounted...)

And while this is an active preselector (I'd hesitate to recommend this to anyone in an urban area unless they were using a good desktop, like a Drake or JRC...), it covers that range too. It has a gain control on it...

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

Mike

WA8ZTZ

And while this is an active preselector (I'd hesitate to recommend this to anyone in an urban area unless they were using a good desktop, like a Drake or JRC...), it covers that range too. It has a gain control on it...

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

Mike

Got the MFJ 1020C here and it does a pretty good job of tuning out the AM BCB spurs on LW. Overloading doesn't seem to be an issue.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Got the MFJ 1020C here and it does a pretty good job of tuning out the AM BCB spurs on LW. Overloading doesn't seem to be an issue.

Carl, what radio are you using it on? I would expect you would have to fiddle a little with the gain if you were using it say, on a Funcube or an RTL-SDR with the HF upconverter...Mike

WA8ZTZ

Carl, what radio are you using it on? I would expect you would have to fiddle a little with the gain if you were using it say, on a Funcube or an RTL-SDR with the HF upconverter...Mike

Have used it mostly with the Satellit 750.
Adjusting the gain control is necessary for best results.

majoco

Stirrer
Any radio with a preselector (FRG7 even!) does a good job of rejecting out-of-band signals. Conversely, radios that just have a bandpass filter at the input stage like my Kenwood R2000 where the filter is 150kHz to 1Mhz is just inviting the intruders in!

WA8ZTZ

Have used it mostly with the Satellit 750.
Adjusting the gain control is necessary for best results.

Didn't have time to elaborate this morning, had to get to work.

Anyway, the MFJ 1020C gain starts to fall off below the AM BCB so that along with the use of the +/- 10 db gain control make overloading pretty much a non-issue.

My experience has been that the MFJ 956 tuner does as good a job as the MFJ 1020C on LW when it comes to tuning out AM spurs.

Have tried the MFJ 1020C with the RSP-1 SDR on LW and while it knocked down the AM spurs, it did not seem to provide any additional gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.