• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Read/Write Minitor VI issues

Gaulkeboy

This is my first time trying to read/write to a minitor VI pager. I'm trying to clone it. But when I try to read it I get a communication error # 2. Am I missing something? I have tried a different usb cable also.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Check to see if the contacts are clean on the pager.

Gaulkeboy

I used 91% isopropyl alcohol on them multiply time. I also make sure that it is fully seating in the base. Do I have to put it program mode like the minitor V. If so is it the H postion and reset button when powering on?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I used 91% isopropyl alcohol on them multiply time. I also make sure that it is fully seating in the base. Do I have to put it program mode like the minitor V. If so is it the H postion and reset button when powering on?
There is no programming mode for the Minitor 6.

If you’re having a communications error, it is most likely a Comm Port selection which you should be able to resolve in the setup of the PPS.

Gaulkeboy

Capture.PNG

This are my settings. I forced it to use COM1 port it was on com11 port. In the advanced setting I turned both sliders down to 1 to se if that worked and it did not. I also have tried this base on another laptop and still the samething. I'm hoping that the base is not bad.

a417

What's that little icon badge over the (real) COM1 port? I don't recall ever seeing that before. What is the status of that device?

You have a bit of a mess there, if you haven't noticed. The PPS config says 57.6k, your device manager tab says 9.6k, so you have incompatible configurations there.

Personally, if you're not using those other 3 COM ports (which I can't imagine you are), I'd disable them in the device manager so they are out of the way. Once you have no active builtin com ports, I'd plug the base in again and see if you can't get it correctly configured when it's the only thing going.

Last edited:
When I have consistent Minitor 6 issues, it's almost always gunk in the two little index pin holes, not the contacts themselves. They need to be cleaned out, otherwise the pager doesn't sit in the cradle properly.

Gaulkeboy

What's that little icon badge over the (real) COM1 port? I don't recall ever seeing that before. What is the status of that device?

You have a bit of a mess there, if you haven't noticed. The PPS config says 57.6k, your device manager tab says 9.6k, so you have incompatible configurations there.

Personally, if you're not using those other 3 COM ports (which I can't imagine you are), I'd disable them in the device manager so they are out of the way. Once you have no active builtin com ports, I'd plug the base in again and see if you can't get it correctly configured when it's the only thing going.

I disabled the (real) COM 1 port that is what that icon is. I with try increasing the bit speed to match and see what that does.

a417

I disabled the (real) COM 1 port that is what that icon is.
Ah, you disabled it thru the OS. I always disable things like that thru the BIOS or hardware, that way the OS doesn't even see it. Windows can find ways to still F things up for you. I suppose if I did it thru the OS more often (than never) I would have known that, my bad.

If you really have 3 real COM ports, I'd disable them all and let the programmer be the only one until you get this sorted.

I with try increasing the bit speed to match and see what that does.
That's not how serial communication ports work. The port settings (speed, parity, flow control, etc) all need to match exactly. That means the software (which usually defers to the OS, but not in every case), the OS (in this case Windows) and the hardware (the radio/pager/recieving terminal, etc) all need to have the exact same settings or nothing works.