DaveNF2G said:
Source? This is not true, unless rebanding has been finished everywhere but New York and the New England area. It hasn't even started above the mid-Hudson Valley, and much of the eastern part of the state is not in Wave 4.
I have seen no evidence of rebanding in western Massachusetts, either.
That source would be me. I represent over 150 municipalities across the country, negotiating their rebanding agreements. Further, I was part of the so-called "Consensus Parties" that developed the concept of rebanding to eliminate interference. So, I'm more than a little bit involved in this process.
Perhaps the systems which you refer to are not 1-120 (851/854 MHz) systems, but rather NPSPAC systems. Or, it could be an interleaved system that has elected to move their Expansion Band (860 MHz) frequencies as part of their NPSPAC reband. Or, it could be a mixed 1-120/NPSPAC system and, like I did in Central Florida, they got a waiver to move their 1-120 frequencies at the same time as they move their NPSPAC channels.
However, to be specific in the regions that you mention, I am aware that the City of Boston is one of the exceptions that I mentioned, and has not completed their 1-120 reband, because they are tied up in litigation with Nextel over recovery of certain costs. My understanding is that Boston and Nextel reached a compromise on their issues in dispute just recently, and hopefully that particular reband can start soon, because it stands in the way of NPSPAC licensees moving down.
As far as the mid-Hudson Valley area goes, if memory serves (I'm home right now), Orange County has completed their 1-120 reband (their system is tied together with a system operated by my client, New York Communications Company, who has completed their 1-120 reband), but I'd have to check.
Further, you should be aware that sometimes systems that are on the "border" of Waves, so to speak, can't be moved because their frequencies are impacted by border frequencies. So, for example, I represent the L.A. Unified School District who, despite the fact that they are not in a border area, can't get a frequency assignment until we know what the Mexican border plan is.
Again, there are a handful of 1-120 systems that have not completed their rebands, but the others have. So, for example, I'm also aware that the following non-Wave 4 licensees (which include some that cross-border areas) have not completed their 1-120 rebands: (1) State of Florida; (2) Manatee County, Florida; (3) Miramar, Florida; (4) Cary, NC; (5) DC Region; (6) Central Florida (Brevard, Seminole and Martin Counties); (7) State of California (Wave 4 issues, among other things). But, we've completed dozens of other rebands. Probably about 20% of the 1-120 licensees that we represented were public safety, the rest SMR and internal users.
Easy way to check as to whether a reband has been done is to go on to the FCC's web site, and check the licensee's license. If they are an original 1-120 licensee, and their current authorization only shows the old channels, they are still only operating on the old channels. If the license shows both old and new channels, they are in the middle of the work. If the license shows only the new channels, they're done.
If I can give you any additional information, I'd be happy to provide it.
Alan S. Tilles, Esquire
Shulman Rogers Gandal Pordy & Ecker, P.A.
www.shulmanrogers.com
www.800mhzrebanding.com