Received my BCD436 today and IDPS is clear as a bell in Westfield!

Status
Not open for further replies.

racin06

But that was when the system was analog, no? GTO is referring to the current system, P25 simulcast. I had the very same experience as GTO on the current system with previous scanners from here in Westfield. The system was not monitor-able. I'm currently recording another video to post of the IDPS. Just in case some may think my previous video was a "one hit wonder." ;)

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
No. it had switched to P25, it was still called MECA, that didn't change til the new DPS guy came in. A few still call it MECA even though it's been over a year now.

I was living in the Atlas Hotel on Washington Street and working for the Salvation Army at the Beech Grove Store (#7) *Now gone*... When the changeover to digital happened. I was traveling up to my gf's in Arcadia almost every weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

KC9NEG

Another video I recorded this evening:

https://vimeo.com/85630988

I had posted observations on the other thread in the Uniden sub-forum, but I removed them so as not to color opinion. Those who can access the feed archives can make a direct comparison of my feed audio to that of the 436. You'll want to start listening on 2/1 at about 20:28. This is a very good test, since racin06 seems to be scanning only dispatch channels, identical to my feed.

racin06

I'll post what I presented on the other thread, as well.

Why not post your observations and opinions? I'm not sure what your point is. If your RS Pro-197 setup is outperforming my BCD436, then so be it. The only point I have been making is that the 436 monitors the IDPS system very well and my previous scanners, RS Pro-2096, Uniden BCD396T and PSR-800 could never monitor IDPS with any success. Now, I will be honest and say that I had never tried using a yagi antenna with any of my previous scanners. Perhaps using a yagi would have made the IDPS at least somewhat monitorable. However, a yagi certainly isn't a compact and portable solution, which is what I prefer.

You say that we are in a period of unusually good reception of the IDPS. Perhaps we are, but I interpret you are saying the 436 isn't that good. I read where you are using a yagi on your Pro-197 to monitor IDPS and as I have previously noted, I'm using the RS 800MHz portable antenna on my 436. Why not try this...remove the yagi and try the RS 800MHz antenna on your Pro-197 and observe the results compared to my 436. The results may be quite telling ;).

Lastly, where is your scanner located? I'm at 156th and Springmill Road in Westfield.

Last edited:

racin06

OK, I just monitored KC9NEG's feed and my BCD436 simultaneously. Both are very good. I don't see much difference. There were a couple of times where the feed became garbled, but only for a couple of seconds. I didn't notice this on my 436. I was just thinking that I could place my 436 at my PC and easily record a video of both my 436 scanning versus the feed because there is about a 32 sec. delay in the transmissions. I think I may just do that when I get some time.

KC9NEG

Yes, the delay is generally just under 40 seconds at best. Make sure you scan only the talkgroups listed in the feed description.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade--I'm simply jaded by years of frustration trying to monitor this system. No point in me using any omni antenna--the 197 fails miserably here (been there, done that!). The feed scanner is on Southpoint Circle in Brownsburg. I'd be very surprised if an X36 copied it well from the same location with any omni antenna.

racin06

I understand and you are not raining on my parade. However, I go back to my original point that I never was able to monitor the IDPS with my previous scanners, but I can, and rather well, with the 436 AND with an omnidirectional antenna. Not only did the 436 monitor the IDPS systems well from here in Westfield, it also performed well at my office, which is located at 74th and Zionsville Road. So, at least from two locations, one in Marion County and one outside Marion County, the 436 has no issues monitoring IDPS.

BTW, you never answered my question of where your scanner is located?

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Yes, the delay is generally just under 40 seconds at best. Make sure you scan only the talkgroups listed in the feed description.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade--I'm simply jaded by years of frustration trying to monitor this system. No point in me using any omni antenna--the 197 fails miserably here (been there, done that!). The feed scanner is on Southpoint Circle in Brownsburg. I'd be very surprised if an X36 copied it well from the same location with any omni antenna.

There ya go ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.