Recent satcom logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeuser

The Wretched
This is what I'm using with about 70 ft of LMR400. The signals are extremely strong but there are just too many pirates.

8a9c9a9d39364bc876cc1b4cdbc5.jpg

That, Sir, is one nice piece of equipment!

rbm

Howdy Rich,
What was the name of the first UHF satellite and what year was it launched or operational?
prcguy

I'm not sure what the official name was. We knew most of our projects by a code name.

TacSat-I (I think it was)

The RF payload was built by the RCA Government Communications Division and launched sometime in late 1968 or early 1969.

After that, I transferred to the RCA Astro-Electronics division on other projects.

Rich

prcguy

That goes back a ways. I worked for the company that made the Lesats and UHF Follow on birds, although I didn't work in the spacecraft division.
prcguy

I'm not sure what the official name was. We knew most of our projects by a code name.

TacSat-I (I think it was)

The RF payload was built by the RCA Government Communications Division and launched sometime in late 1968 or early 1969.

After that, I transferred to the RCA Astro-Electronics division on other projects.

Rich

rbm

That goes back a ways. I worked for the company that made the Lesats and UHF Follow on birds, although I didn't work in the spacecraft division.
prcguy

The most recent project I worked on were the 'Advanced Extremely High Frequency' satellites.
Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF) · Lockheed Martin
And .....
ADVANCED EXTREMELY HIGH FREQUENCY (AEHF) SATELLITE SYSTEM
http://www.losangeles.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=5319

As my eyes aged, I kept moving on to smaller and smaller things.
It should have been the other way around. ;)

Rich

Last edited:

prcguy

If you look up the specs for the largest direct to home satelite service you'll see they use the same basic downlink band as AEHF but with some mind boggling BW, steerable antennas, etc. Ground antennas for this which includes the 20GHz downlink band are so cheap they are considered disposable. Technology marches on.
prcguy

The most recent project I worked on were the 'Advanced Extremely High Frequency' satellites.
Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF) · Lockheed Martin
And .....
ADVANCED EXTREMELY HIGH FREQUENCY (AEHF) SATELLITE SYSTEM
http://www.losangeles.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=5319

As my eyes aged, I kept moving on to smaller and smaller things.
It should have been the other way around. ;)

Rich

mancow

Database Admin
I just ran across it on ebay. They are usually really expensive but I found it pretty cheap. The reflector array mounting ring was broken and "fixed" with some aluminum soldering rod at some point but it seems to work just fine.

mancow

Database Admin
Might as well start learning Portuguese because that's all you hear. It's similar to owning a sniper rifle. I don't really ever plan on sniping anyone but it's nice to know the capability is there. Same with this, I will likely never hear anything of any importance or interest but it's nice to know it's there just in case.

I guess if SHTF I could dial up PRCGUY and we can set off our nefarious plans of world domination via surplus mil gear but barring that real likely scenario it's not really doing much good but making the neighbors wonder what the hell I'm up to.

reconrider8

hehehehehe its just something to tell people yea i do this this his this and o yea i do monitor sat comms ... but i would like to monitor the stuff you guys here like the military in the first thread

Status
Not open for further replies.