Recommendations for a wideband receive 2M/440 DMR-capable HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrath

I'm aware of the specs, and as I stated above having it cut off at 524 MHz isn't acceptable to me. I also stated that since I already have a DMR capable HT, the TYT MD-UV380 (which is not the MD-380 that's so crazy popular and older) and it works great, DMR use can be addressed by this TYT unit and it would give me a leg up on Fusion which is something I have no experience with at all, never even heard anyone using that kind of digital hardware either anywhere I've lived in the US. The FT2DR/DE is pretty much as close to what I'm hoping to get as I've been able to track down so again a nod to JD for that mention, I didn't notice it at the Yaesu site earlier today when I was checking that out.

The Radioddity one is unfortunately nowhere near as capable as even the TYT I already own so, no sense tossing away another chunk of cash towards an inferior product than what I already own.

The Yaesu FT2DR/DE is what I've decided on so again, thank you for the recommendations and suggestions. It hits almost every aspect that I was hoping for - even works like a frequency counter-like/sniffer operation in some respects because it has a display mode that shows a bandwidth spectrum which is pretty awesome, Josh aka Hoshnasi mentioned that in his review video and even made use of that feature for tracking down some unknown transmission frequencies.
Maybe I missed this piece of advice ,if you are buying the yaesu FT2DR buy an open spot 2 ,hotspot link it via WiFi at home or in your vehicle and the hotspot will transcode fusion and DMR (they use the same codec ) i have an open spot 1 & FT1XDR ,the open spot 2 can be connected wirelessly thru.iphone or Android. If you go to you tube look up K6UDA he has reviewed both versions of open spot and uses them .
So your fusion radio can play in both camps ,if you later on move into a 400XDR it does it also , just make sure to enter both your call sign and DMR ID when you set the radio up.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Bob1955

Baofeng makes a tri-band transceiver for $49.95 and I forgot the model number but it looks like a UV-5R. Look it up on Amazon and it is 5 watts on high power. Comes with 2 antennas.
Hope this helps you out.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
<<I'm not interested in events like Hamfests or competitions, this is more or less part of a "Survival Kit" in case of some severe weather catastrophe situation where both electrical and potentially cellular connectivity is gone for days, perhaps even weeks at a time.
Oh that one does look useful, thanks for the recommendation, checking on it now>>

Broadband, this is exactly what I bought the radio for. I wanted another 2m/440 HT but something more advanced than my VX-7R, and something that would meet my criteria for a 'survival' HT if the need arose again. If I have to do something crazy like evacuate my neighborhood very quickly, I want a one-grab radio that will do almost everything I need it to do in an emergency situation. In an ideal situation I'd be able to grab my favorite scanners and HT but that may not be the case. This radio would suit that need, and if something happens to it I have the el cheapo Baofeng stuffed in a side pocket on my ALICE pack. Most people do not comprehend such situations, but I've learned valuable lessons via hurricanes and basically living in an 18-wheeler and having to endure all of Mother Nature's follies. There is much wisdom in the Boy Scout motto.

JD
kf4anc

PS - I use the ADMS-8 software for programming. It's about as quirky as EZ Scan but once you learn it you get quick at it. On the Yaesu website for the FT2Dr there is a tab labeled 'files' go there and you will find the ADMS software and LOTS of helpful files, quick startup guides, instructional notes, etc - a good selection. Good luck with it!

wrath

Oh that one does look useful, thanks for the recommendation, checking on it now>>

Broadband, this is exactly what I bought the radio for. I wanted another 2m/440 HT but something more advanced than my VX-7R, and something that would meet my criteria for a 'survival' HT if the need arose again. If I have to do something crazy like evacuate my neighborhood very quickly, I want a one-grab radio that will do almost everything I need it to do in an emergency situation. In an ideal situation I'd be able to grab my favorite scanners and HT but that may not be the case. This radio would suit that need, and if something happens to it I have the el cheapo Baofeng stuffed in a side pocket on my ALICE pack. Most people do not comprehend such situations, but I've learned valuable lessons via hurricanes and basically living in an 18-wheeler and having to endure all of Mother Nature's follies. There is much wisdom in the Boy Scout motto.

JD
kf4anc

PS - I use the ADMS-8 software for programming. It's about as quirky as EZ Scan but once you learn it you get quick at it. On the Yaesu website for the FT2Dr there is a tab labeled 'files' go there and you will find the ADMS software and LOTS of helpful files, quick startup guides, instructional notes, etc - a good selection. Good luck with it!
I haven't purchased a FT2 because I have eye problems with the display ,but I have my FT1 and my Kenwood 74 and a hot spot gives me 2 dual band analog, 1 220 analog digital , dual APRS, dual GPS and Fusion ,DMR,Dstar , wear a dual shoulder holster one radio under each arm . The perfect compliment òf function ,if i take my VX 5R i can do 6 meters also.

The thing to remember is yaesu has done us a favor. They have kept the same batteries across several models ,so should you want extra batteries ,in test the Batteries America generic battery actually outperforms the stock packs , you can also get drop in fast chargers and everything battery related from them inexpensively.

br0adband

Maybe I missed this piece of advice ,if you are buying the yaesu FT2DR buy an open spot 2 ,hotspot link it via WiFi at home or in your vehicle and the hotspot will transcode fusion and DMR (they use the same codec ) i have an open spot 1 & FT1XDR ,the open spot 2 can be connected wirelessly thru.iphone or Android. If you go to you tube look up K6UDA he has reviewed both versions of open spot and uses them .
So your fusion radio can play in both camps ,if you later on move into a 400XDR it does it also , just make sure to enter both your call sign and DMR ID when you set the radio up.

Now that is some damned interesting info about the transcoding aspects, thank you very much for sharing that. Guess I have a lot more research to do into that Open Spot 2 which I've seen mentioned before in some of HRRC's videos. I'll do some checking around on the K6UDA content as well.

Always something interesting going on, definitely. :)

As for the Baofeng recommendation above, I'll have to pass on that because I already have the TYT unit I've mentioned a few times. That Alinco one is neat but lacks wideband receive so that'll be a pass as well. The FT2DR/DE is pretty much a mortal lock at this point so again, thanks for the recommendations and suggestions, folks.

wrath

Now that is some damned interesting info about the transcoding aspects, thank you very much for sharing that. Guess I have a lot more research to do into that Open Spot 2 which I've seen mentioned before in some of HRRC's videos. I'll do some checking around on the K6UDA content as well.

Always something interesting going on, definitely. :)

As for the Baofeng recommendation above, I'll have to pass on that because I already have the TYT unit I've mentioned a few times. That Alinco one is neat but lacks wideband receive so that'll be a pass as well. The FT2DR/DE is pretty much a mortal lock at this point so again, thanks for the recommendations and suggestions, folks.
I unfortunately don't have a link but Google K9EQ fusion tips and tricks PDF, it a massively informative volume of information to digest at your leisure,getting the feet wet .strangely one of my favorite things about the FT1 ( i always have my radios ,sometimes little else ,and I want to listen to broadcast FM ,it will do it ,i can be monitoring a gazilion things on 2/70 cm on 74 and listening to music on FT1) i didnt want the FT1 but when they cleared them out for $199 ,it hurled itself at me ,and has become one of my favorites, obviously if it's on my routine load out ,i either really find it a great rig or I am just stupid to carry it around .

wrath

Didn't see this one here. Been looking at it.

http://www.alinco.com/Products/dmr/DJ-MD5/DJ-MD5.pdf
Of intrest on the Alinco is I think they are going the baofeng route , they are on special at giga parts, now the picture clearly says VFO A and a frequency, however in the print Ad it says the radio is PART 90 certified ,either the picture or the copy is wrong or they think we are stupid.

w2xq

Mentor
FWIW the less expensive alternatives to the Openspot2 are the MMDVM hotspots running Pi-Star. Prices start around $80. For the Chinese versions, the one suggestion I would make is toss the no-name microSD card and buy a Sandisk or PNY. This Amateur radio: Hotspots may be helpful.

Spankymedic7

I'm aware of the specs, and as I stated above having it cut off at 524 MHz isn't acceptable to me. I also stated that since I already have a DMR capable HT, the TYT MD-UV380 (which is not the MD-380 that's so crazy popular and older) and it works great, DMR use can be addressed by this TYT unit and it would give me a leg up on Fusion which is something I have no experience with at all, never even heard anyone using that kind of digital hardware either anywhere I've lived in the US. The FT2DR/DE is pretty much as close to what I'm hoping to get as I've been able to track down so again a nod to JD for that mention, I didn't notice it at the Yaesu site earlier today when I was checking that out.

The Radioddity one is unfortunately nowhere near as capable as even the TYT I already own so, no sense tossing away another chunk of cash towards an inferior product than what I already own.

The Yaesu FT2DR/DE is what I've decided on so again, thank you for the recommendations and suggestions. It hits almost every aspect that I was hoping for - even works like a frequency counter-like/sniffer operation in some respects because it has a display mode that shows a bandwidth spectrum which is pretty awesome, Josh aka Hoshnasi mentioned that in his review video and even made use of that feature for tracking down some unknown transmission frequencies.

You might want to check the Kenwood TH-D74, has extended RX down into the HF bands (USB, LSB, AM), is dual band, etc, etc... The only caveat is that this radio is a DSTAR radio. I know you said it's not a deal breaker as you own the TYT, just wanted to mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.