Recorder created bad filename cannot use in Windows -- HELP

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
My dedicated recorder caught an interesting armed robbery and capture, the problem is it generated a funky filename that Windows will not recognize. I've been unable to edit the filename so I can process the file. Any ideas?
ERROR.JPG

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
This may be a longshot, but try selecting all of the names at the same time. Then right-click and see if Windows will allow you to rename them without the colon.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
This may be a longshot, but try selecting all of the names at the same time. Then right-click and see if Windows will allow you to rename them without the colon.

I tried, sadly it failed. Thanks for trying though. :) I may end up having to reformat the SD card. I have 14 unusable filenames, the ones below them work just fine. Just my luck that the file I want is an illegal one.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like the files are on an SD card. Are you able to mount the SD card on a Linux machine? You should be able to rename the file in Linux if that is an option.

BTW: illegal characters in windows file names include
  • < (less than)
  • > (greater than)
  • : (colon)
  • " (double quote)
  • / (forward slash)
  • \ (backslash)
  • | (vertical bar or pipe)
  • ? (question mark)
  • * (asterisk)

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
It sounds like the files are on an SD card. Are you able to mount the SD card on a Linux machine? You should be able to rename the file in Linux if that is an option.

BTW: illegal characters in windows file names include
  • < (less than)
  • > (greater than)
  • : (colon)
  • " (double quote)
  • / (forward slash)
  • \ (backslash)
  • | (vertical bar or pipe)
  • ? (question mark)
  • * (asterisk)

YES, I dug into the closet and pulled out a very old laptop that has Linux on it, it'll play the files, but the one file I wanted to rename did rename, but now it has a file length of ZERO and is now unusable. It's frustrating as H E double toothpick. Ah well, I guess it was not meant to be. :( Thank you though!